Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #421
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
JD, was there any reason to run most things on 12 volt .
Hi Joe! I've got a combination of 12 and 24 VDC. I started thinking that a 24V house battery would be the way to go so I could use alternator charging. However; lithium batteries are a bit particular about charging voltage so I'm not charging from the alternator. Regardless, I used what I could at 24VDC, which has been mostly limited to a water pump. Many electrical accessories that I wanted were only available in 12VDC versions so that's what I used. Things like shore power cord and water hose reels, dump valve, ceiling fan, and many LED lights.

Quote:
Were the original lights in the coach 12 volts?
I don't recall now - or I never even checked. I ripped all that stuff out as quickly as possible. None of it fit into my 'design' so it got trashed.

Quote:
What do you use for 24 to 12 volt converter and how efficient are the ones you are using when they are only partially loaded. Do they have a automatic shut off to reduce no load consumption? Would it be more efficient to get multiple converters that work in their best efficiency load range?
I have two different 30 amp 12-24VDC converters. The Samlex SDC30 is in the basement, this one is sorta generic and is upstairs. I like the Samlex better because of it's faston connectors but it sure is a lot more expensive. I've not done any testing with either one to know how efficient it is. I hope to figure that out at some point. I suspect they take their fair share of power, even when not doing anything.

Quote:
Would love to convert everything to 24 volt just for simplicity sake.
That was my thinking but I kept running into brick walls. I thought about putting little regulators on each device (effectively making them switched) but didn't like the complexity of that option.

Quote:
Did not take my heater out yet. Probably should experiment with the output and power draw while it is winter ( here -14 Celsius) to get a feel what i required and possible.
No worries. I have a Planar 13k BTU diesel air heater still sitting in the box. I'm going to mount this in the basement and use to heat the house. I just never got around to it last fall - got into a bad case of doing nothing. You might want to try starting your coach cold a few times before removing that heater - you may want to keep it (which is ok). My DD60 is VERY unhappy about starting cold (<40). For now, I can get by with the 120VAC block heater but I plan to get a diesel fired heater installed before next fall.

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #422
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Thank you, JD for sharing the sheet. It reminds me of all the things I forgot to include.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:25 AM   #423
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Thank you, JD for sharing the sheet. It reminds me of all the things I forgot to include.
Thanks Rusty, these projects are never complete so it isn't what you forgot - just what you haven't added yet.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #424
Bus Crazy

Today I removed the oil drain bolt from the big Delco 50DN alternator. It was not tight and there wasn't even a gasket/washer under it. No wonder it has been leaking. I reinstalled with a copper washer and loktite.

My current problem is a coolant leak. It is most certainly coolant and is coming down the passenger side of the engine (DD60). I can find nothing on that side of the engine that even has coolant - never mind a potential leak source. It is mostly on the aft end (pulley end) of the engine and kind of appears to be flowing down between the air pump and engine block. I did find a very tiny bit of a 'seep' coming from a coolant hose far over on the driver side (under the coolant tank) but there is something more. I've been sitting a week now and it is slowly dripping - still - today.

Does anyone have any guesses or things I might try tightening??
Old 12-30-2017, 03:22 PM   #425
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Today I removed the oil drain bolt from the big Delco 50DN alternator. It was not tight and there wasn't even a gasket/washer under it. No wonder it has been leaking. I reinstalled with a copper washer and loktite.

My current problem is a coolant leak. It is most certainly coolant and is coming down the passenger side of the engine (DD60). I can find nothing on that side of the engine that even has coolant - never mind a potential leak source. It is mostly on the aft end (pulley end) of the engine and kind of appears to be flowing down between the air pump and engine block. I did find a very tiny bit of a 'seep' coming from a coolant hose far over on the driver side (under the coolant tank) but there is something more. I've been sitting a week now and it is slowly dripping - still - today.

Does anyone have any guesses or things I might try tightening??
Wow JD, good news on the alt but not on the leaking coolant. Sorry to hear that. Where are you and what are the air temps roughly?
I know little to nothing about your engine layout but is it possible a frost plug is loosening somewhere on that side. They do rust out and get pushed out over time that is why I ask. I imagine it is pretty hard to get a great look at things. Maybe just tighten hose clamps and inspect hosing itself if possible. Then maybe you can notice if there is a difference in loss of coolant. Loose too much and you probably will loose start capability so yes, that's about all I can suggest off the top of my head.

Happy New Year regardless and all the best,

John
Old 12-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #426
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Wow JD, just read up on the DD60 engine, overhead camshaft, pretty neat design. Sorry obvious not enough experience here to help but hope you have good weather, friends, view, food and drinks to start the new year.

Best wishes
later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #427
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Wow JD, good news on the alt but not on the leaking coolant. Sorry to hear that. Where are you and what are the air temps roughly?

Thanks John, good thoughts! I'm currently a little south of Albuquerque but have been near Truth or Consequences. It has been below freezing at night so you may be onto something.

I think it's time make run a run to the car wash to clean the engine then park her in high ride position and find a comfortable spot underneath to lay down and start watching - with flashlight, mirror, and coffee in hand - of course.

Yes, she has coolant level sensors - guess how I know?? Yep, all this time I thought the stuff on my Jeep (towed) was leaking oil. Now I know it is both coolant and oil. I know... not the brightest guy. Sometimes (all the time?) I get something in my head and can't see the forest for the trees.

Happy New Year to you too!!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #428
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Wow JD, just read up on the DD60 engine, overhead camshaft, pretty neat design. Sorry obvious not enough experience here to help but hope you have good weather, friends, view, food and drinks to start the new year.
Thanks Joe - Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #429
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Carry an antifreeze tester with you JD if you can find one down there locally.
Hopefully it won't let go but may be time for a flush and refill with something good to -40f which also gives great summer protection too.
You must be pretty handy to be able to drink coffee underneath..how does one learn that skill?
Frost plugs are easy if you have room to swing a hammer. Two ballpein hammers and its in with a good smack.

Good luck and nice to know you are safe too, not stranded way out where you usually hide out.

John
Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #430
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Thanks John, good thoughts! I'm currently a little south of Albuquerque but have been near Truth or Consequences. It has been below freezing at night so you may be onto something.

I think it's time make run a run to the car wash to clean the engine then park her in high ride position and find a comfortable spot underneath to lay down and start watching - with flashlight, mirror, and coffee in hand - of course.

Yes, she has coolant level sensors - guess how I know?? Yep, all this time I thought the stuff on my Jeep (towed) was leaking oil. Now I know it is both coolant and oil. I know... not the brightest guy. Sometimes (all the time?) I get something in my head and can't see the forest for the trees.

Happy New Year to you too!!
We should park side by side and have a party. I need to find a couple of leaks too. Nothing major, but they need fixing.

It's not going to happen in these temps though.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #431
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
We should park side by side and have a party. I need to find a couple of leaks too. Nothing major, but they need fixing.

It's not going to happen in these temps though.
The party part sounds great Steve!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #432
Bus Crazy

Lately I've been thinking about the ceiling. The winter months always call for more light and I don't have much of it right now. So, I should probably finish the ceiling and get the lights installed.

The question is: how to finish it (the ceiling) - what look do I want?

My ceiling has a slight bow to it so a very rigid product will not work. The stringers run forward and aft and and I don't want a bunch of exposed screws/fasteners. I also don't want a automobile headliner look. Wood might be ok but I already have lots of dark wood (and the dark cork floor) so have to be careful.

I was thinking of a blue sky mural - like this…

I really like bringing the outside in and the bright airy look. However; I'm afraid this would be really neat for about an hour. Then... not so much...

I'm starting to think that the easiest, most flexible, and easy to change later approach would be some sort of simple panels and then wallpaper. Wallpaper comes in so many different varieties now, just about any look can be achieved.

This one is too 'busy' but kinda captures the 'any look is possible' idea.

Thoughts??
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #433
Bus Geek

Not sue about the height of your current ceiling but I would think that those optical illusions are only possible if their is a reasonable distance between your eyes and the ceiling. We ones (13 yrs ago) were traveling thru Vegas and they had a mall or so with a ceiling like that and it would take quite a bit of studying before you could see the fakeness of it.

We have a small skylight inside our escape hatch that does real nice with light and allows the outside in a little.

tried to get to one of your sites to see more inside pics. but my browers waffles about a security certificate, any advise?

later j
Old 01-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #434
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
How about a small projector that will shine what you want like blue skies during the day and open starry nights? Then all you need is a good cleanable white background.
Just a thought?
In my original build I created what was needed at that time.
Like two beds with under and overhead storage for 9 and a 10 yr old boys now they are ready for and just getting ready for college so now momma wants to repurpose those areas?
I didn't think ahead back then in my build so now I get to be real creative but at least I ran all the wiring so I know what not to cut.
Little bit of my experience of a at the moment build versus long term thinking?
Good luck.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #435
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

My ceiling has a slight bow to it so a very rigid product will not work. The stringers run forward and aft and and I don't want a bunch of exposed screws/fasteners.

Thoughts??
I really like the blue sky look, but would agree with Joe.....without some distance from it, i think it will just look like a blue/white ceiling, unless you're laying on the floor.

If you have a 'slight bow' in your roof, why not wallpaper some luan and let it 'bow' to the ceiling itself?

Or, if you have a little height to spare in your coach, use flat panels in 'drop-down-ceiling' frames? Custom-sized, of course. Would also give you somewhere to hide wiring if you need to.

Don
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #436
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
A recreation of the ceiling of the Sisteen chapel would be interesting, but kind of high on the effort end of things.

Having any images on the ceiling will make it look smaller inside because it gives your eyes a place to focus.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #437
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Lately I've been thinking about the ceiling. The winter months always call for more light and I don't have much of it right now. So, I should probably finish the ceiling and get the lights installed.

My ceiling has a slight bow to it so a very rigid product will not work. The stringers run forward and aft and and I don't want a bunch of exposed screws/fasteners. I also don't want a automobile headliner look. Wood might be ok but I already have lots of dark wood (and the dark cork floor) so have to be careful.

I really like bringing the outside in and the bright airy look. However; I'm afraid this would be really neat for about an hour. Then... not so much...

I'm starting to think that the easiest, most flexible, and easy to change later approach would be some sort of simple panels and then wallpaper. Wallpaper comes in so many different varieties now, just about any look can be achieved.

This one is too 'busy' but kinda captures the 'any look is possible' idea.

Thoughts??
Why not cover the entire ceiling with flat-panel TVs, then either show a video of blue sky with moving clouds, or maybe night sky with moving stars/planets/moon/satellite launches/North Korean ICBMs/etc etc. To really confuse your guests you could show the day sky at night and the night sky during the day. Or you could show X-rated movies on your ceiling, and pretend that . . .

You just need imagination (he says in a thick Bronx accent).

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #438
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:

Thoughts??
The doming will help pull off the blue. I don't think I'd get tired of it. I know I don't have the talent to do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Why not cover the entire ceiling with flat-panel TVs, then either show a video of blue sky with moving clouds, or maybe night sky with moving stars/planets/moon/satellite launches/North Korean ICBMs/etc etc. To really confuse your guests you could show the day sky at night and the night sky during the day. Or you could show X-rated movies on your ceiling, and pretend that . . .

You just need imagination (he says in a thick Bronx accent).

John
This guy is TROUBLE!! I like it tho.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #439
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Thanks John, good thoughts! I'm currently a little south of Albuquerque but have been near Truth or Consequences.
Please tell me you didn't forget the right turn at Albuquerque.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #440
Bus Geek

I love Albuquerque. A couple of nice surplus stores on Central , coffee shops and nice weather. airplane grave yards, missile bunker.
A little south are the quarai mission ruins.
Always when we are in that area some adventures comes along. Just to much cool stuff there.

later j

Tags
conversion, lithium, mci, solar