Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
Bus Nut

More updates.

Down to the seats on the rear deck but have run into a snag. Getting the last 2 floor seats out dann near kilt me. It seems the dry chemical fire extinguisher emptied all over that whole area tried sweeping it up and the dust bout choked me. I'm gonna load up my wet dry shop vac. Hope the little genny will run it. I'm thinking maybe put some water in it before sucking up to catch the dust? Anyone have this malfunction?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
No, but I'm still sweeping up the CO2 from my fire extinguisher.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Safety first.
Even the cheap paper mask will help.
If available some moistened saw dust spread out will help because it actually make the powder stick to the saw dust and or your local big box store probably sells something called a dry sweep compound which is nothing more than chunks of cardboard and saw dust with a wax coating that really make any dust stick to it. Then your vacuuming and sweeping bigger chunks instead of extinguisher powder.
I think spraying water directly into the real fine powder will keep it from going airborne but will wash it into all the little nooks and crannies that buy the time you get to them then the powder will be dry and ready to go airborne again.
Or just put a mask on your face,some glasses over your eyeballs(cause that mess sucks in your eyes) a new dry filter on your shop vac and make sure the shop vac exhaust is directed away from the powdered area and suck it up dry.
To me/my opinion
Wetting it will leave its residue all over the floor once it's vacuumed and dried so you will be dealing with it again just not in the same capacity/amount but it will still be there.
So mask up and get it out dry as it sets or deal with it again in whatever corner your buses back corner is the lowest when you wet it.
I know you are probably talking about just using a pump sprayer and wetting in lightly and not washing it out but if it's thick in some areas then the water is only going to go so far?
My experience has shown me that extinguisher powder doesn't clot with water but actually seperates so you can end up with a nice milky film left over of the same mess that you can see when your trying to the powder up with water and then you get a call the next day cause there is still a powdery substance on everything.
How I know that is a completely different story of me welding to close to an actuater valve for a resteraunt kitchen hood and it dumped 2-80 pound bottles while I was welding.
Good luck,safety first,have fun.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
How I know that is a completely different story of me welding to close to an actuater valve for a resteraunt kitchen hood and it dumped 2-80 pound bottles while I was welding.
Good luck,safety first,have fun.
Lol, sorry. You were like:

"Whoops, sorry bro. Someone gotta clean that up".
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
This is NOT a gripe.......I notice you make a new thread for updates. It would be easier to continue one thread from start to finish as it would give you and visitors that may want to follow your build one spot with everything in chronological order. Personally not a biggie for me as i try to read all new posts.
Looks like your making headway! Cant wait to see what u plan on the inside.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Yeah no LOL here? It was a night job in a working Buffaloe Wild wings and they had to be open the next morning by 11-am.
Welding a tap into a natural gas line was my main concern and the manager said the fire system is turned off are you going to be done tonight?
I didn't know then but I do know now the the grill exhaust hoods have there own fire protection system? A spark off of my torch popped onto one of the hood actuators and boom? At least it wasn't the gas line?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote