Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 42
My Bus

I'll try to make this short. This is my bus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180903_171238(1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	25843

Its a 1999 Goshen Sentry

Frame and chasis are Frieghtliner
Body is Goshen
5.9 Cummins TD with 545 Allison Trans
Body is mostly Aluminum and some plastic sprinkled in. Roughly 32ft long bumper to bumper.

2 A/C front and rear off motor and 1 r/v AC off 110v

Cassette player

I am so undecided about what direction I want to go with this build that I won't even bother discussing it yet. I just wanted to introduce my unnamed bus.

Here is what I've done so far:

Name:	IMG_20180903_162638.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	25844

Name:	IMG_20180908_152626.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	25845

Goals for this week are to stop leaks, and add additional insulation. If I can get that done that I want to start redoing the sub flooring.

I want the bus up and running by the end of October for it's first festival...by that I mostly mean registered and road worthy.

Side note: if anybody has a need for seats let me know. They are pretty cool and each have their own seat belt and recline back...I'd like to sell them but will probably end up giving them away just to get things going.

Cheers!

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice to have another Floridian!

I'm not far from you. We're in the outskirts of Apopka.

Come on by sometime!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I would enjoy that! I have so many questions...I'll PM you.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:38 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Updates

So..much has happened since my last post hence the lack of updates. First, I understand that my bus is not technically a coach bus..nor a school bus..more of a shuttle bus. If I get into posting more, maybe I'll move it to another section. But for now I'll keep this here!

Thanks to a fellow skoolie.net friend I was able to my bus insured!

I met up with another skoolie friend and also have a new tenant building a skoolie next to mine at the same lot.

I did my first road trip. It was about a 4 hour drive each way and she did pretty good. I definetly need to work on the stability. Many big semis would pass me by and just throw my bus side to side. I'm hoping putting newer shocks will help.

I had my first blowout! That wasn't too fun. It was really confusing to be honest. I felt like I ran over something metal or had a blowout but when I checked I didn't see anything! It wasn't till I was leaving that I noticed my innter back driver side tire had a blow out. Unfortanately I think this means I should do what I didnt want to do...buy all new tires. But that wont happen until I get the rest of the bus ready for more adventures.

I have a rough idea of what I want to build and just need to really start. Im tired of drawing things out and thinking...I just need to build...

Besides that the only other issue was my windshield wipers stopped working...Im thinking i might replace the motor but there was something strange about the whole thing.

Oh and heat! Yeah thats something else I need to throw money at. But Im excited to put some time into the bus and hopefully have something ready by the end of the month.

Wish me luck!
Old 03-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
I love your bus, man. Seriously this looks like it will make a great conversion.

I was on this thread reading about it and I realized that no one has posted since the first of January and so, I didn't want you to think that we weren't readin or taking an interest.

Keep going and keep posting, Please!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: Goshen Sentry
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: ? 35ft
Any updates? Just bought mine today;
2004 Freightliner Goshen Coach bus
5.9 Cummins.
I'm hoping to add some pics next week
SRESPINOZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the interest even though its taken 5 months to reply. I'm pretty much at the same point as where I was a year ago sadly. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have paneling up and some framing started. I'm supposed to go on Sunday to my welder friends work shop to build a motorcycle and generator rack for the back and under storage. We will see what happens. Either way this time next week I'll be gearing up to head out west in the bus. Really nervous but it's something I have to do! Let's see if she survives the desert and a 6000 mile trip...pictures to come!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRESPINOZA View Post
Any updates? Just bought mine today;
2004 Freightliner Goshen Coach bus
5.9 Cummins.
I'm hoping to add some pics next week
Awesome! Let's see the pictures! Love of the bus looks and drives. I"m starting to hate having the doghouse and the snub nose but it's still the bus that I like to most out of all the ones I've seen!

I'll say this about mine at least. A lot of people have noted how they enjoy the interior height. At the peak mine is about 78" and near the corners in the wall I'd guess around 74" I've been working on it for the last few weeks everynight and every weekend...still feels like I haven't done anything but I'm trying! I'll try and post pictures soon.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

So as mentioned above I've been at it again trying to prep for Burning Man. I'll be out on the playa about 3 weeks if all goes well. Going to take the low road (through texas/new mexico). At the point my main focus is on getting some maintenance done on the brakes and trying to put some tires on the bus.

I'll be attempting to drive at least 500 miles/day. I"ll have a water tank hooked up. Some storage for clothes. A bed and bed frame. Emergency toilets (bucket and saw dust for poo and a cassette toilet for urine). I'll probably get a galvanized trough for rinsing off/bathing. A small fridge. And all my tools will live under my bus hopefully. If anything else is build I'd be surprised. If i just end up builing a bed frame I wouldn't be surprised either. I have about a week to get everything I can done while still working 8 hour days. The hardest part is battling with all these rainshowers and having to pick up supplies in my motorcycle and/or in the bus.

As of a few days ago I haven't been driving the bus because my turning indicators along with my brake lights went out. I'm trying to track down the problem...all I have really found is the solenoid and some relay's in the electric box get super hot...I'm sure i'll figure it out... :/. Hope everyones well!

Name:	IMG_20190806_173613.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	36248

Name:	IMG_20190805_220009.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	36249

Name:	IMG_20190802_190552.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	36250

Name:	IMG_20190803_201236.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	36251
Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
If you haven’t bought new tires yet I’d suggest you get a used to replace the blow out. My dad was in the tire industry for 40 years so if you tell me the brand of tire beside it I’ll ask him what it can match up with.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
Thanks for the interest even though its taken 5 months to reply. I'm pretty much at the same point as where I was a year ago sadly. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have paneling up and some framing started. I'm supposed to go on Sunday to my welder friends work shop to build a motorcycle and generator rack for the back and under storage. We will see what happens. Either way this time next week I'll be gearing up to head out west in the bus. Really nervous but it's something I have to do! Let's see if she survives the desert and a 6000 mile trip...pictures to come!
Nice to see ya back on here.
Should stop by on your way north!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
If you haven’t bought new tires yet I’d suggest you get a used to replace the blow out. My dad was in the tire industry for 40 years so if you tell me the brand of tire beside it I’ll ask him what it can match up with.
I believe the ones in the back are 8/R-19.5 I was told they are an older style of tire and that they are getting harder to find...used tires at least. I think I have samsons similar to these: https://simpletire.com/samson-8-r19....oaAmvHEALw_wcB

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Nice to see ya back on here.
Should stop by on your way north!
Yeah man I'll see what I can do. We might be heading out early (but I have a feeling we won't) I'll shoot you a text. Been thinking about you. Wish you were out here to help me trouble shoot my brake lights lol.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah man I'll see what I can do. We might be heading out early (but I have a feeling we won't) I'll shoot you a text. Been thinking about you. Wish you were out here to help me trouble shoot my brake lights lol.
I responded in the other thread but If you turn on your key you should hear that big solenoid click. If it doesn't its bad and can cause accessories not to work. I've got a brand new one sitting around as a spare if you need one.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Those 8/19.5 are old tires that used to be on old motorhomes, buses too I guess. The newer similar size is 225/75r19.5. Never heard of Samson; it’s probably junk made in China. If it is I’d avoid it, no tires from China are any good yet. Maybe get by on the rear but definitely not the front steer tires.
If you have Samson on the front I’d take one to replace the blown rear and get 2 new steer tires.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

So I'm not sure I mentioned this but I did replace the blown out tire a few months back. The 8r are in back of the bus. Up front I have Some goodyear 245/70r 19.5. What I really want to do is have them all the same size and put 245/70 or 225/75 all around. I figured I would buy two new steer tires and have them move the ones up front to the back and then get 2 used ones to pair with that. Or maybe used all the way around if they are in good enough shape.

I appreciate your reply it's been helpful
Old 08-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Updates

I'm trying to post pictures but I'm stopped at a rest stop an hour and a half outside of where burning man in. I have to be at least 2500 miles into my trip probably over 3000. I took I-10 then cut up through Dallas. Cut across then made my way up through Vegas.

Tires and brakes are holding up but they did not enjoy driving through the Hoover dam. The solenoid I replaced and rebuilt went bad. Stopped at a truck stop and they gave me a different solenoid. I'll take a picture but it's been doing the trick. And it was only 13 dollars.

My dog house door kept flying open so we had to rig a ratchet straps and a piece of wood over it.

My radiator fan was holding on by the wires because all the bumps broke off my zip ties. Luckily i was showing my friend my areas of concern in Vegas and we saw it. So I using thin wire to tie it down. Changed my oil filter and shocks. Didn't have time for an oil change but my oil is not that old and from what I understand diesels can go a longer time without changing. My buddy was telling me Walmart trucks they never change the oil. Just the filter and then put in new oil.

So I'm tired and sore but am happy with the bus so far. I still have the return trip but for now the quest has been amazing. I'll post pictures after Burning Man. Maybe I'll see some of you out on the playa!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:24 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
You my friend have given me new hope for the 545 tranny.

Wish I could have made it to the playa this year, hopefully can make it next year. Have a great burn!
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm trying to post pictures but I'm stopped at a rest stop an hour and a half outside of where burning man in. I have to be at least 2500 miles into my trip probably over 3000. I took I-10 then cut up through Dallas. Cut across then made my way up through Vegas.

Tires and brakes are holding up but they did not enjoy driving through the Hoover dam. The solenoid I replaced and rebuilt went bad. Stopped at a truck stop and they gave me a different solenoid. I'll take a picture but it's been doing the trick. And it was only 13 dollars.

My dog house door kept flying open so we had to rig a ratchet straps and a piece of wood over it.

My radiator fan was holding on by the wires because all the bumps broke off my zip ties. Luckily i was showing my friend my areas of concern in Vegas and we saw it. So I using thin wire to tie it down. Changed my oil filter and shocks. Didn't have time for an oil change but my oil is not that old and from what I understand diesels can go a longer time without changing. My buddy was telling me Walmart trucks they never change the oil. Just the filter and then put in new oil.

So I'm tired and sore but am happy with the bus so far. I still have the return trip but for now the quest has been amazing. I'll post pictures after Burning Man. Maybe I'll see some of you out on the playa!
Glad yall made it safe !