Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Prevost
Chassis: H3-45
Engine: Detroit DDEC III
Rated Cap: A LOT
Questions about saving the original toilet

I've been pouring over all of the coach conversion projects that I can find and virtually no one is making use of the original toilets that came in their buses. I am wondering why this is so.

My Prevost has what I consider to be a really quite nice toilet. But I will say that the holding tank is REALLY small. I wonder how difficult it would be to just replace the holding tank with a larger one?

And if that was fairly straight forward, why are not more people making use of the original throne?

WoodenYouKnowIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Compost toilets are so much easier to deal with, dump a bucket in a bag and dispose. Saves the smelly black tank and having to find specific places to dump, etc.
What you want to do is doable and may work for you as the system is already there.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Skoolie

I very much like the idea of using a composting toilet. The only thing I was thinking here was that there is already a pooper and it seems silly to take it out if I didn't have to. But, the more I look at it, the more I realize that it really is not going to be all that big of a deal. Hmmmm.

I'll have to think some more on it. That's the Native-American way of my family. We think some more, talk some more, then we think some more after that. LOL

The entire Prevost lavatory is very well laid out and really compact. With the exception of the shower, it has everything. In fact, it even has a powerful vent fan that comes on automatically when the lav is occupied. Those Frenchies thought of everything. It might be fun just to convert it to a composting design.

I also like the idea of having the bathroom all the way in the rear of the coach. We converted a GM4103 many years ago. (...a 1952 model) That bus never came with any sort of lavatory and so, we installed a regular RV throne in a bathroom we built and a holding tank below decks. The bathroom was located at around the middle of the coach. There was one thing about it. Any time one person went in there and did the business, the rest of the family could darn near smell it. It was inescapable. It was like a bad movie: "The Curse of the Floating Air Biscuit!"

I would sure like to avoid this as much as possible on my Prevost.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
The original toilet that was in my first bus was pretty much like a porta-potty. Somewhat different than a conventional RV toilet.

No "seal" between the black tank and the toilet.

If yours is similar you may find that controlling the odor without very frequent dumps.

Before I removed the original toilet I checked with a local charter operation and asked how they maintained theirs. They dumped daily.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
Skoolie

The original bathroom usually isn't used because there isn't much room for a big tank so dumps happen often(hehehe). I've heard deleting the bathroom is kind of a pain though. People relocate it to above a bay and place the tank there.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
The original bathroom usually isn't used because there isn't much room for a big tank so dumps happen often(hehehe). I've heard deleting the bathroom is kind of a pain though. People relocate it to above a bay and place the tank there.
If you hear that removing the original bathroom is "kind of" a pain , you were misinformed.....

It is a HUGE PITA!

Been there, done that....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If you hear that removing the original bathroom is "kind of" a pain , you were misinformed.....

It is a HUGE PITA!

Been there, done that....
It's been awhile since I've looked at a thread where they delete it so I forget what is involved. I do remember multiple people saying the same thing, I was just trying to soften the blow. Once the bathroom walls are removed, there isn't much else there to the outside correct? Some fabrication would definitely be involved.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenYouKnowIt View Post

The entire Prevost lavatory is very well laid out and really compact. With the exception of the shower, it has everything. In fact, it even has a powerful vent fan that comes on automatically when the lav is occupied. Those Frenchies thought of everything. It might be fun just to convert it to a composting design.
Sounds like you've got a NICE gactory bathroom in your coach.

Most people I've seen. . . don't. Its a stainless closet with a toilet seat and a hole on top of the holding tank. Its there if you need it, but no one really wants to use it.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I removed Missy's original toilet - some info here and here. It appears that I didn't post nearly enough info/photos as I recall the process of getting that toilet out to be, as Steve says, a HUGE PITA!

In the case of the MCI toilet that I had:
1. The dump is on the wrong side for an RV.
2. It was a "chemical toilet" type of setup that uses the blue liquid stuff. That, IMO, is smelly and not something I want in my home.
3. It was ugly, ugly, ugly (IMO).
4. The tank was far too small for my intended use.
5. It was located in the wrong place for an RV bathroom.

A properly installed and maintained RV style toilet and holding tank do not stink.

Everyone is different and to each his own but if considering a composting toilet, I'd advise thinking carefully and getting some real world experience - with all the options - before making a choice. For me and my style of RV use they are not my first choice.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
Skoolie

WOW! I've been gone for a little while and, when I get back I see that there has been all kinds of input from you folks. Thank you very much.

I've read through all the posts and I think that I'm going to go ahead and strip the lav out. As much as I like the unit itself, I really do NOT like the chemicals and the location of that ultra tiny holding tank.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
sold on Natures Head, 100%
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #12
Almost There

Year: 1969
Chassis: Ford B-750
Engine: 390 BB
Rated Cap: 2 humans, 1 cat
Most school buses don't come standard with toilets - or maybe I grew up poorer than I thought! ha!

I agree with others - we use a composting toilet for ease of use. (Literally a 5 gallon bucket in a box built around it on the wheel well - a step makes it nearly "squatty potty" in style.) No worries about blockages (our neighbor in the RV park is constantly unblocking his!), no worries about finding places to empty it, and no chemicals. We have a cat and so that was very important.
WanderingLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Toilet

You’ve got a factory built Prevost, correct? As others mentioned they are well designed and it would be best to leave it and maybe just remodel with new fixtures, wallpaper/paint, flooring, etc. Being a Prevost, there may be room underneath to install a larger black water tank.Just a thought.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
You’ve got a factory built Prevost, correct? As others mentioned they are well designed and it would be best to leave it and maybe just remodel with new fixtures, wallpaper/paint, flooring, etc. Being a Prevost, there may be room underneath to install a larger black water tank.Just a thought.
For me personally, the only problem I have with the factory Prevost lavatory is that I am way too fat to get through the door comfortably. I really am huge and weigh near 400 lbs. I'm working on it.

This is, of course, not the Prevost's fault. I have been studying the entire design and have decided tht I thnk i can convert it to a composting system.

This will also eliminate the need for that really super tiny tissue box sized black tank that came on the Prevost.

In other news, I've spent so much time working on my bus that I've immediately lost 15 pounds without even trying. Hmmmm maybe I'm on to something.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #15

put in second black water tank and connect the two using maceration pump
mmeteng is offline   Reply With Quote