Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Van Hool
Chassis: T2140
Engine: Cummins M11+ 450hp
Send a message via AIM to Whims and Wishes Send a message via MSN to Whims and Wishes
and around we go.....

I wasn't about to sit in the back of our bus while Marty drove all over the country for the next decade and enjoyed the views out of those great big beautiful Van Hool windshields nor was I going to sit and dangle my feet over a gaping hole of entry stairs. So we fixed it. We designed and are putting in a spiral staircase for our entry area. Now my seat can sit next to the drivers seat and I can enjoy the view as well. Problem solved!

Here's some in process pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
original stairs 2.jpg   spiral staircase 10.jpg  

Whims and Wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to Whims and Wishes Send a message via MSN to Whims and Wishes
Doors! We have doors!!

Been working hard! We installed the first set of our stained glass pocket doors last night. This set goes into the large bathroom with the 4' shower. We hung them, stepped back and both just gasped at the beauty. We knew how we wanted them to look and they exceeded our every expectation! Thank God for Craigslist. We paid $250 for two sets of these doors. The second set will be into the bedroom and we can't wait to get to that next installation.
Attached Thumbnails
door installation 2.jpg  
Old 04-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Basement plans

For our big 5,000+ mile trip this summer of 2017, we are taking our 2 grown children and the 3 grand kids for a total of 7 of us in our bus. Naturally with 3 generations comes bumps, bruises and getouttamyways to prepare for so we are doing whatever we can to get ready for those. We are planning to use a section of two of the basement bins for sleeping quarters for our son and our oldest grandson.

Building walls between the bins, making sure the floors are clean and square, putting lights and electrical outlets in them, mattresses, louvers for air movement or screens if we can figure out how to do it and an entrance into the main cabin through the floor.

Gotta love family! Should be an interesting study in how to separate people and keep the peace.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That should be a fun trip with the whole family.

I'm interested in your floor hatch idea.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That should be a fun trip with the whole family.

I'm interested in your floor hatch idea.
So far, the design is going to be right under the banquette seats of the dining area. We will lift the cushions and wooden cushion supports, step down onto the ladder and descend into the bin. There is only one small metal support beam in the way. It has been determined it can be eliminated and another beam additionally supported nearby to take the stress it handled without issue.

There will be a pass through door between the two bins to provide privacy for the two young men down there. This hasn't been finished yet, but they are ready to build it when we get to that area which will be very soon. We will be posting pictures as we get there. Does that help?
Old 04-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I think it's a great idea. I'd never heard of anyone actually making a hatch for the basement before.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Trying to make water work in a bus!

This has been a trying month. I am out of the working on the bus picture since I am scheduled to have neck surgery May 31 to replace two discs. My husband travels for his job and hasn't been home much so the plumbing needed to move the project along has come to a standstill. He could do it but he isn't home.
Hiring a plumber that will agree to do the job has been a nightmare. No one in our area will touch it.

Our walls are going up where they can, ceiling, ventilation and other items are being purchased and installed but that darn plumbing is an irritation we just don't need. Think we may have found someone to come take a look and give an estimate tomorrow morning. We shall see!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Hang in there and best wishes on your neck work!!

It seems inevitable that life gets in the way of our projects. I'm coming off two years of down time from a smashed arm and four surgeries so I feel your pain. Keep motivated and doing all that "design" work whilst waiting.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Plumber on site!!

Found a plumber that will do the work!! Can't wait until that's all done.

His son says he can have it all done in 3 days. The father doing the work says he can have it done in 2 days. Today, in 7 hours, he and his helper got one of our 2 toilets plumbed and the black water for it ready. Still to go: the sink for that bathroom, the shower, the 2nd bathroom, washer dryer, and the kitchen. It will be interesting to see who's right. Father or son. Stay tuned for further info on the age old question.

As for my husband, he is installing my beautiful counter top and my wonderful sink in the kitchen, working in the second smaller bathroom, working on electronics and wearing himself out. Does anyone have the instructions on how to clone a human being?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Hang in there and best wishes on your neck work!!

It seems inevitable that life gets in the way of our projects. I'm coming off two years of down time from a smashed arm and four surgeries so I feel your pain. Keep motivated and doing all that "design" work whilst waiting.

The hardest part of this whole thing is not being able to help. It's our project and I'm not there every day. Ordering and keeping ahead of the supplies is helping I guess. Someday soon none of this will matter as we will be driving down the road enjoying life in our bus all of this pain forgotten!

Smashed arm and four surgeries? Ouch!! I feel better already. I'm only having one!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Update from Van Hool land

Surgery over. Plumber doubled his price, tire place doubled their price and then refused to do some of the work they said they would do.

Trip looms in 9 days and bus isn't done.

Oh the fun of being a skoolie!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Best laid plans of mice and men......and skoolies!

The trip out west isn't happening. We are still taking a vacation but it isn't 5200 miles. It is in the bus however if she'll make it. We've had to have a water pump replaced, redo some roof work because of a new leak, redo some wall work because of a loose frame board and and and.....

Now we are going to try to head south into the cave area of Kentucky, take the kids and grandkids to see something they've never seen and still salvage something of our 2017 vacation. The fun times of being a skoolie!
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I want to see this bus sometime!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I want to see this bus sometime!!!
-Christopher
We're just north of you Chris by a little over two hours. You can come up anytime or maybe we can meet you half way. We LOVE to show off all the work we've done!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:48 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whims and Wishes View Post
We're just north of you Chris by a little over two hours. You can come up anytime or maybe we can meet you half way. We LOVE to show off all the work we've done!
Where, if I can ask? I went to school at Hiram and still am out there from time to time to visit friends in Akron/Stowe/University Heights Cleveland.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
How cool!! You aren't far at all !! I'm always up for a school bus ride! I drive mine all over the place.

Would love to see your progress!
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Where, if I can ask? I went to school at Hiram and still am out there from time to time to visit friends in Akron/Stowe/University Heights Cleveland.
North Canton, Ohio. 1 mile East from Exit 111 on I-77. Stop by next time you're in the area Dan-Fox. e-mail me at jeankoala@msn.com next time you're around.

We love to give tours and show off our work. Never hurts to have more eyes on our build as well just in case you have a suggestion we might not have thought about.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Come for a visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
How cool!! You aren't far at all !! I'm always up for a school bus ride! I drive mine all over the place.

Would love to see your progress!
Christopher
We live in North Canton, Ohio. 1 mile East from Exit 111 on I-77. Stop by next time you're in the area cadillackid. Just e-mail me at jeankoala@msn.com next time you're around.

We love to give tours and show off our work. Never hurts to have more eyes on our build as well just in case you have a suggestion we might not have thought about.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Looking good. Following.
Tegra1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

working on the bus

Haven't posted in awhile because we have been working on the bus. Got the interior almost complete, still trying to figure out storage areas and electrical panels. We were wired completely then husband decided the rats nest of wires we had ended up with were not to his liking so he's redoing the panel and making it safer and more functional.

We've been out with it several times and found some things that we need to work on still but all in all WE LOVE OUR BUS. Can't wait until we go permanent RVers. Looking forward to the day we no longer have grass to mow!

Tags
bus, coach, conversion, renovation, vanhool