Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 96A3
Engine: 6V92
Reviving an MCI project

Hello!
So I get these wild ideas from time to time. This was one of them. I had a nice bluebird that I did a ton of work to. It was working great so I decided to trade it for a derelict coach 900 miles away.
I know.
So this MCI had not been started in over a year and not driven in at least 3. I found someone in Chicago that would buy my bluebird and meet me at the new bus in Indianapolis. I live in CT.
To make things exciting, I had 48 hours to do this. Drive my bluebird to Indianapolis, get the mci road ready and drive it home. I had to be at work on Monday morning.
What could go wrong?
I left on a Friday at 830pm.
Something weird happens to me in the Midwest. Some strange time-space alteration that confuses me. I've driven through many times and the flat, straight, featureless terrain leaves me empty and confused.
I made it to the rural location outside of Indianapolis around dusk on Saturday night. Put 2 new batteries in the bus and it magically started right up. Aired up quickly and unbelievably the brakes released. The tires were low and I had no idea how to turn the lights on and get heat blowing. It was cold out.
Once I got it going, I realized it was a manual transmission. No synchros. Double clutch all the way. WTF?
So, I blew up the tires, set off for the highway and stopped for fuel. No idea where the fuel goes. Truckers are getting upset while I figure it out and learn how truck stop pumps work on the passenger side. Took a while.
Well, I drove through the night and somehow this big beast got me home around 8pm on Sunday night.
1900 miles in less than 48 hours. She ran great but needs tires and some front end work. And wow, its huge!
Quite an adventure but its home. I will take my wife and kids to California in it next summer.
Attached Thumbnails
1119190701_Film4.jpg   1119190702_Film4.jpg  

Mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Wow what a trip! Glad it worked out.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Wow what a trip! Glad it worked out.
Yeah, thanks. It was intense. Me and the bus. We laughed, we cried, we were anxious and stressed but we stuck together and made it. I'll post more pictures and progress as I go.
Do you happen to know what size battery I need to use for starting a pair of generac np52g generators? There is a giant, dead 8D battery in there now that I THINK is the one for the gennys...
Attached Thumbnails
1118191613_Film4.jpg  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Glad you made it home. Way too much to go over here. But I can help. We'll be in touch now via email. Talk soon.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 466DT
Hilarious!

"Some strange time-space alteration that confuses me. I've driven through many times and the flat, straight, featureless terrain leaves me empty and confused." Sounds like a faculty meeting....
ted@campbycanoe.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted@campbycanoe.com View Post
Hilarious!

"Some strange time-space alteration that confuses me. I've driven through many times and the flat, straight, featureless terrain leaves me empty and confused." Sounds like a faculty meeting....
Heading into a faculty meeting now. Wish me luck...
Old 11-20-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
Skoolie

Well the generators are running! So much water had to blow out of the exhaust...
Some interesting observations:

When I hooked up the battery to start the generators, the clearance lights came on. I don't know how to turn them off.

Only one of the overhead heaters will turn on. Neither will blow heat.

Dont know how to turn on the water pump.

With the new "house" battery, the interior lights will work but the appliances won't with generators off.

Anyway, here are some pics of the unfinished interior:
Attached Thumbnails
1120191758a_Film4.jpg   1120191758b_Film4.jpg   1120191759_Film4.jpg   1120191759a_Film4.jpg   1120191759c_Film4.jpg  

1120191759d_Film4.jpg   1120191800_Film4.jpg  
Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #8
Skoolie

I think the interior lights are wired directly to the battery. Gonna have to look into that...
Next up, change the oil. Not easy to find the 40wt that's required. I'm gonna take a sample and send it off to Blackstone to get an idea of whats going on internally.
As for the trans, can use 75/90? Any idea how much? Its a 5 speed Eaton fuller (I think)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrdrms View Post
I think the interior lights are wired directly to the battery. Gonna have to look into that...
Next up, change the oil. Not easy to find the 40wt that's required. I'm gonna take a sample and send it off to Blackstone to get an idea of whats going on internally.
As for the trans, can use 75/90? Any idea how much? Its a 5 speed Eaton fuller (I think)
Blackstone will analyze trans fluid too, FYI. It's money well spent, IMO.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I found it strange in the 05 that the clearance lights, that are mandatory, were not on the headlight switch, but had it's own switch to turn them on/off.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Blackstone will analyze trans fluid too, FYI. It's money well spent, IMO.
Not a bad idea considering I missed A Lot of shifts on my way home...
Old 11-22-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Not a bad idea considering I missed A Lot of shifts on my way home...
I am betting the analysis will show fresh gear filings.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
Awesome find, glad you made it home!

Man double clutching hahaha, my ol ferd ranger taught me how to do that after I thrashed the transmission off roading and wore out the syncros and just kept on driving it that way till I busted the output shaft off in the xfer case... Good times LOL.
If you would like to check out my website that has all sort of information especially for the T444E/7.3PSD engines check out www.PatrickTheSalvageGuy.com I've got helpful downloads and articles as well as a link to my YT for other how to videos mainly on the F series trucks.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I found it strange in the 05 that the clearance lights, that are mandatory, were not on the headlight switch, but had it's own switch to turn them on/off.

my Superior and bluebird both have separate CL light switches.. ive seen it in new bluebirds and IC's as well for some reason...
only thing I can think of is they didnt want to wire a separate headlight circuit and left them on the normal solenoids and a switch vs having to wire off of the dash-light feed to a separate fuse circuit..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my Superior and bluebird both have separate CL light switches.. ive seen it in new bluebirds and IC's as well for some reason...
only thing I can think of is they didnt want to wire a separate headlight circuit and left them on the normal solenoids and a switch vs having to wire off of the dash-light feed to a separate fuse circuit..
Can you elaborate on this? I dont see a seperate switch for the clearance lights on the dash. Also, I believe the main system is 24v and the house system is 12. So if the clearance lights only work on the 12v system, I'm confused....
Old 11-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
Skoolie

Well I just changed the oil in the engine and the generators. Man, thats a lot of fluid. Next up is the trans and diff. Got some electrical gremlins to figure out and a flat tag tire but we're making some progress!
Old 11-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Well I just changed the oil in the engine and the generators. Man, thats a lot of fluid. Next up is the trans and diff. Got some electrical gremlins to figure out and a flat tag tire but we're making some progress!
Leave the trans fluid alone. If it doesn't smell burnt or contaminated changing it can cause unexpected problems. Allison transmissions are almost bullet proof and usually stronger than the engine they're connected to. I'm still assuming that's an HT740 in there. Go slow until we can talk.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
Leave the trans fluid alone. If it doesn't smell burnt or contaminated changing it can cause unexpected problems. Allison transmissions are almost bullet proof and usually stronger than the engine they're connected to. I'm still assuming that's an HT740 in there. Go slow until we can talk.
i second leaving the tranny fluid alone and thats in any vehicle not just medium to heavy duty busses or trucks.
especially the older stuff just leave it alone.
no fluid flush and if you have to for some reason change the filter or pan gasket do not clean the stuff out of the bottom of the pan. just because you have it opened up.
you will cost yourself a transmission that was probably just fine.
learned that the hard way on several older vehicles.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
Skoolie

Even for a manual transmission?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
yes i have bought many new to be vehicles and always did a full fluid/filter change and anything i touched like valve covers,oil pans,tranny pans all got cleaned inside and out with a fresh coat of paint to dress it up and i or my son would drive it daily for a month or two to check it out before we post it as good for sale and we only dropped the transmission pans on the ones that had a gasket leak but every pan i dropped and cleaned inside and out had transmission problems in 2-3 months so i had/to sell them as tranny needs replaced,rebuilt and some of the smaller stuff i rebuilt or replaced.
what i have learned is that the metal particles in the pan still flow in the fluid and help cushion the bands in the transmission internals so just because they are in the pan doesnt meen they are waste and need to be cleaned out.
yes and including a stick shift.
my latest was a 77 ford c6 transmission that i thought i was doing good with a fluid filer change and cleaning the pan? dead in a month 1000 dollar fix.
my oldest son at 20 yr old is a ford mechanic now and almost every vehicle they do a tranny flush on older than 2000 wont even move out of the bay.
he says if the newer stuff does its religeous by the book fluid stuff that they dont know how long they wiill last but now ford is sharing motor technology with gm and gm is sharing tranny/allison info with ford?
chevy tranny to use in ford trucks for ford to give info on there eco boost motor to be used iin there corvette
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote