Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Why dont one of you RE guys take some pictures under the rear of your bus?

you know for science

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

The rear end of an RE bus is turned around so it is turning opposite of what a FE bus--nothing special except the housing has the vent relocated and the cover may have the logo upside down with a second fill hole.

GM buses that have the V-drive have 2-cycle Detroit Diesel engines that are left turning instead of right turning. Why they did that I have no idea since it would be have been just as easy to turn the rear ends around as it was to have the engines turning backwards.

Some buses like the Flxible FlxLiners and some of the Eagle buses have drop boxes that change the direction of the engine. The drive shaft goes over the top of the rear end into the drop box which then turns the rear end that is facing the front. The use of the drop box allowed for longer engine and transmission packages without increasing the rear overhang or wheelbase.

Some low floor buses with front engines have used drop boxes in order to get the driveline low enough to clear the lowered floor. Some have even used a drop box in the front and another drop box in the rear in order to get the driveline low enough. In those buses when the air suspension is lowered into the kneel position the driveshaft is almost touching the ground.

No school bus to my knowledge ever used a left turning engine or a drop box.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I found a flashlight and fishing pole handy. It got late and I wanted to stop occassionally and check things out. I used the fishing pole to stick down into the fuel tank to confirm what the gauge showed and to make double sure that I had fuel to get down the road. Don't take a stick or thin dowel. I used a dowel the other day and it broke in half. Now I have half a dowel in the fuel tank to fish out someday. Oops.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: RE Cummins 5.9
Okay so I ended up getting pretty lucky. While I have yet to move the bus to its final destination while I convert it, I did manage to go look at it and get the title. It ended up being almost completely rust free with an at545 transmission and the 5.9 cummins.

Kathos7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My buddy mike has a bluebird with a 5.9 and it does 75mph.
Yes it is an old thread. My 5.9 and MT643 RUNS 75MPH AT 2500 RPM.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote