Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Super Single Rims?

Has anyone ever considered or changed the rear dual rim configuration to a Super Single rim/tire like many Class 8 HDT rigs run? The rim/tire should be more than capable of supporting a coach since a Class 8 rig tows 80,000lbs.
Also, has anyone ever removed the tag axle? Once again seems like it might not be needed since a coach conversion will carry less weight than a normal passenger coach. Removing the axle would create space for more storage and be less parts to maintain/break. Would removing the tag axle affect the stability, safety or operation of the coach in any way?

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Is this a school bus?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
My thinking is this:

Dually rear tires means if you lose 1, you can still limp it to get it fixed, depending where you are. With a super single, that corner is done and you'll have to wait for a service vehicle, or worse, have it towed.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Plus poor ride, and a lot of initial expense.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Amen to that!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Some 40' coaches were built with only two axles. Those buses were built with a longer wheelbase in order to account for the lack of a tag/bogey axle.

It would be possible to take the tag/bogey axle off but one has to wonder what benefit you would get from doing so.

In order for it to work you would have to move the drive axle if you remove the tag axle. Since the bogey axle is in front of the drive axle you wouldn't have to move the drive axle on a bus with a bogey. But with a tag axle there would be way too much weight behind the drive axle so you would have to move the drive axle towards the rear. How much you would have move the drive axle would require you to determine where the factory located the drive axle on two axle coaches.

Besides weight carrying capacity you would also lose another axle's braking ability. I am of the school of thought that says you never have too much braking ability.

If you really don't want a three axle 40's coach I would hold out and purchase a coach that came from the factory as a 40' two axle coach.

As far as using a super single, I have never seen a coach or bus set up with one. I am not saying it can't be done. But for what it would cost I just don't see the benefit. With all of the wheels the same you could limp home if you had to by moving wheels around. With a super single you would need to call road service out to help.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
I inquired about the super single in my build thread a while back...had access to two rims. Thought it would look pretty cool with a bigass tire out back, tubbed look. It's legal according to our tire guy and safety and compliance.

....as said above, huge cost for a road side repair. $1000 a tire from a tire shop here in Ontario, probably $1200 from a mobile guy...that's if you didn't roll the edge of the rim over from the weight of the bus/coach.

...you also have two rolling spares to get to out of a jam, if you got a front flat you could steel one of the rears to hobble yourself to safety. Hydroplaning could be a issue as well.

This guy showed up at the beer store on Sunday with his pick up, he removed the front drive, and fifth wheel, installed super singles, put fuel tanks from a Pete, turned the bunk into a tool box. The bunk and box are removable, he said he has an 8.3 cummins with a 13 speed direct and runnin' low 15's at St. Thomas and Grand Bend drag strips.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4011.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	9566
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4010.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	9565
It's a '96 freightliner
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

As a current truck driver with experience with super singles, I advise to keep the duals. Supers have their bonus points, but if they blow out ( I have had some do so ) your stuck, pending a $250 plus miles road service, and $1500 tire.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
highwayhobo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Cannot speak from personal experience, but was chatting an older trucker just a while back and these tires came up. He said he tried them "cause they just looked so cool" but very quickly went back to duallies for most of the reasons above plus the concern over a locked air brake on a trailer wheel (actually pretty common event). He said a buddy had one catch fire, blow out and his rig took out a few civilians vehicles when a rear super single locked up. The trailer went out of control with no support on that corner.

He said.."They are not THAT cool".
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #10

Never had anything that drastic happen but I suppose it may be plausible

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
highwayhobo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #11
Bus Nut

If you're gonna buy the rims and tires for the supers, save yet cash and get some dress up caps or some aluminum wheels

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote