Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126 CAT/AT545
Rated Cap: 26
12 volt coolant pump

hi guys, i'm deleting the 2 rear bus heaters on my Thomas. plenty of old threads on that, but not much info regarding the inline 12 volt coolant pump. I would like to delete this as well. I assume the inline pump is just to help the coolant get circulated all the way to the rear heater.

for the guys that have deleted the inline 12 volt coolant pump...did your defrost and front door heater still work great? does the engine have enough pressure to properly circulate coolant through the front heater core?

thanks!

JWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

Engine: 6CTA8.3
If you don't have a diesel coolant heater you won't lose anything by removing the pump. The engine will pump hot water to the front through 1"-1 1/2" hose without a problem.

If you do have a coolant heater you'll lose the ability to run it for any practical benefit without the engine running.
signalderivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalderivation View Post
If you don't have a diesel coolant heater you won't lose anything by removing the pump. The engine will pump hot water to the front through 1"-1 1/2" hose without a problem.

If you do have a coolant heater you'll lose the ability to run it for any practical benefit without the engine running.
With a rear engine, keeping the coolant pump even if you remove all the heaters except the front one, will help defrost the windshield more quickly.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #4

Engine: 6CTA8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
With a rear engine, keeping the coolant pump even if you remove all the heaters except the front one, will help defrost the windshield more quickly.
I've not noticed an appreciable difference with mine, but I haven't paid that much attention either.
signalderivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #5

well i decided to remove everything. now i just have one hose coming out of the engine going straight into the dashboard heater core and straight back to the engine. no inline 12 volt assist pump anymore. felt good to declutter under/in the bus.

in my example, i have a front engine, so i'm hoping for the best. just have to wait and see...

thanks for the replies.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Fe with just defrost hooked up you wouldnt need it anyways. Thats a short loop. All my heaters work fine with a Re just takes a minute for it to circulate without it. I will have to replace mine before running external heater.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

Cool cool, good to know.

My pump was on a toggle switch on the side dash, so I guess it makes sense now that I think of it. The driver would only turn it on when they needed to really crank up the heat in really cold temps I'm guessing? Sort of a hot water turbo...