Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1987 Bluebird Bus Brake locked

Hey all,

Total newbie here, just picked up a new to me 62 passenger 87 Bluebird with the 366 motor, from Oklahoma and I'm making my way back to Virginia. I just posed another thread in the GM section about the little bit of carb trouble I'm having but I'm also stuck as last night the drivers side rear brake locked up (disc got red hot when I noticed it, I'm thankful it wasn't worse).

Anyway, it appears to have released but I've got a mechanic hopefully coming to check it out this morning. So my question is, I think I should replace (or rebuild?) that caliper (okay at least that caliper, maybe both if not all four ;) does anyone have a resource on finding these calipers? I apologize for not doing more searching myself by my cell service up here is spotted at best and I'm stuck for the time being...

Thanks!

snorris8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
Try the local NAPA store or look for a Fleet Pride store in your location. You
can also go to trpparts.com. All of these stores have online catalogs you
can look at.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Are you sure it has disc brakes in the rear? You say 1987, 62 passenger. I can't imagine anything that old, that big would have disc brakes anywhere.
As to your loss of power, if brake was dragging bad enough to get red, it may have felt like loss of power.
It's not a carb adjustment anyway, likely filter or water in fuel.)
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Are you sure it has disc brakes in the rear? You say 1987, 62 passenger. I can't imagine anything that old, that big would have disc brakes anywhere.
As to your loss of power, if brake was dragging bad enough to get red, it may have felt like loss of power.
It's not a carb adjustment anyway, likely filter or water in fuel.)

Mine's an '87 IH 66 passenger bus with hydraulic disk brakes. Probably same thing I have.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Mine's an '87 IH 66 passenger bus with hydraulic disk brakes. Probably same thing I have.
No doubt, this is definitely four wheel disc brakes. I'd attach photos but it's bad enough getting online with my phone.

I don't believe the power is related, as a brake lock probably wouldn't cause backfire, missing and hesitation. The weird thing about that problem is the random onset (seems to run fine for a while) and it only does it at cruising. The sluggishness and feeling slower starting could've been the brake but I had noticed these symptoms a day ago, the brake thing, as far as I can tell, started last night, which is actually probably a blessing in disguise as I saw sparks and saw the red hot glow when I stopped to look.

Ideally I was hoping someone had a similar bus and knew some part numbers or something as my internet capability is really limited I was hoping to get a more focused search.

Also things just got more interesting when the friendly neighborhood meth head showed up and asked a bunch of questions and offered to do the work, then offered drugs. boy, I can't wait to get out of here.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I don't have any part numbers handy, but the fellows I bought the bus from are a professional mechanic shop and I'm told the brakes for this system are quite common and easy to find. I double checked this with a trusted road service tech who said pretty much the same thing. Everything should be easily available at any Napa (specializing in trucks), but with the part #'s any Napa should be able to get them.

The thing is, it's most likely *NOT* the brake pads that are/were the problem. My guess is one of 2 things. You'll either have a failed rubber brake line (some manner of internal failure, making it act like a 1-way valve, not releasing pressure), or you'll have a sticking caliper (corrosion and age being likely factors).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
finditparts is a great resource online that ive found for some tough to get parts..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks all for the help, I was able to do a VIN number search and get the caliper and pads for it. Sure enough ONE of the two pistons froze up, and it torched all the seals/rings so it needed to be replaced. The pad had a nice wedge shape to it as well. I'm also doing the pads on the other side so we'll clean up the sliders and the caliper to hopefully prevent this on that side.

Next time someone tells me "It's only been sitting six weeks" I'll definitely look a little harder.

Tags
brakes, hydraulic brake