Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 06:24 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
I have no advice but we have similar buses and mine is giving me some issues to. I hope you can get your bus running and driving and moved on time. I had to get mine towed to move her by the end of this month and used AAA. Hope it doesn't come to that for you. Good luck.

Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: 1998 TC/1000 Bluebird Handybus
Engine: 6BTA 5.9 Cummins Diesel AT545
Rated Cap: 25 ft
Update:

Checked the transmission and made sure the cable was configured correctly. It was. Turned the bus on and for about 3ish minutes it will idle just fine and then jump up to 20 RPMS.

Since I've owned the bus for less than a year and nothing else is very obviously popping up as a problem I'm going back to some more basics.

Noticed that the fuel filter says it hasnt been changed since 2011 (which, it was in an active school district about 18 months ago so that could be true or not—it's just what is in sharpie on the engine near the fuel filter) but I'll be trying to change the fuel filter today and see if that helps.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions you guys. I really appreciate it. Keep em coming if anything else comes to mind!
Dagnythedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Please finish filling out your user profile with the bus data so I/we don't have to remember your buses details.
I know for this one the thread title gives a little but we need to see engine size and weight/capacity to help you decipher what and where in a specific chassis cause they change mess around between sizes of these things and stuff like that
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Please finish filling out your user profile with the bus data so I/we don't have to remember your buses details.
I know for this one the thread title gives a little but we need to see engine size and weight/capacity to help you decipher what and where in a specific chassis cause they change mess around between sizes of these things and stuff like that
Oh ****, Thought I had done that months ago. Turns out I was missing my gender input and it deleted everything.

Anyway, it's updated now.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

More updates: I THINK I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM (still working on fixing it, but maybe you'll all have some good insights on that)

After dinking around with some connections today it was apparent that the hand throttle on the left hand side of my steering wheel was out of alignment. We moved it back into place by hand and then the bus started up, RPMs were in a normal range in neutral(aprox 800) and stayed there.

I finally took it on a test drive around the block and everything started out pretty normal. However, after just a couple hundred yards my bus started to try to accelerate even when my foot was not on the accelerator.

Didn't matter what gear I put the bus into, this continued to be a problem.

Got back to the house, put it back in neutral where the RPMs were, again, in the 2,000 range.

We opened up the engine tunnel and re positioned the idle lever by hand and it went back to normal .

So, it certainly has something to do with the hand throttle and at this point it seems to be the ONLY thing that changes the way the bus functions.
Might be a matter of bad/tired springs or something bumping it out of place. Thoughts would be appreciated otherwise I'll continue to tinker.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Okay well I think I fixed it (I'm, of course, hesitant to say that too loudly for the bus gods to hear).

Turns out the return springs for the hand throttle/accelerator were very tired and did not provide enough tension to shut the mechanism. Bought two new springs, running like a champ now.

Caveat is that I definitely bought springs with significantly more tension since the three autoparts stores near me were out of the size I needed but these will do for now until I get they get the right size in.

I so, so much appreciate everyone's input as this was my first time needing to troubleshoot mechanical problems.

You guys are the absolute best.
Attached Thumbnails
springs.jpg  
Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Those look like throttle return springs. Definitely a quick fix. Is your accelerator pedal stuff now?
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARGEAR View Post
Those look like throttle return springs. Definitely a quick fix. Is your accelerator pedal stuff now?
I'm assuming you mean stuck instead of stuff?

In which case, yeah! She's good to go now. The springs I replaced are a little bit tighter than the ones that were in there before they went out, so I have to be a little more forceful on the accelerator until I find some springs that fit slightly better. But for all intents and purposes, I think she's fixed!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
I meant stiff as in requires more strength to push the pedal, your answered the question already
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote