Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Type D chassis manufactured by navistar
Engine: T444e 7.3l V8
Rated Cap: 72
2002 t444e engine and an Allison transmission.

Hello! I’m new here and have a question about this engine/transmission combo. We are looking for a school bus to convert that we can take across the country and live in full time (for a few years) with our 4 kids. We need something that can handle going up and down mountain passes. I have been looking for a bluebird 8.3l Cummins engine and Allison transmission. But I have stumbled upon a FREE 2002 international with a t444e deisel rear engine and an Allison transmission (545 or a MD3060, won’t know which one until tomorrow). 11 window length. Will this combination be good for our purpose? I don’t want something that will be just ok. With my 4 kids, safety is paramount. I want a strong bus going up and good control going back down. I don’t know yet what kind of brakes. I’m getting the full specs tomorrow. Oh, we will also be flat towing a Durango. Thanks for your help!

lwharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwharma View Post
Hello! I’m new here and have a question about this engine/transmission combo. We are looking for a school bus to convert that we can take across the country and live in full time (for a few years) with our 4 kids. We need something that can handle going up and down mountain passes. I have been looking for a bluebird 8.3l Cummins engine and Allison transmission. But I have stumbled upon a FREE 2002 international with a t444e deisel rear engine and an Allison transmission (545 or a MD3060, won’t know which one until tomorrow). 11 window length. Will this combination be good for our purpose? I don’t want something that will be just ok. With my 4 kids, safety is paramount. I want a strong bus going up and good control going back down. I don’t know yet what kind of brakes. I’m getting the full specs tomorrow. Oh, we will also be flat towing a Durango. Thanks for your help!
while im a fan of the 444E, (I own one and drive it all over the country).. thats a pretty big bus and to be pulling a durango too, which is pretty heavy.. I dont think the 444E would fail, but its going to work really hard and for sure slow down in the mountains with that combination.. even with an MD3060.. you stand a SHOT if the 444E is the 230 HP variant.. (one of the valve covers will have a label on it.. generally Left side of engine (right side of bus in RE) will have a label with a cutout telling you which horsepower variant you have. take a rag with you so you can wipe off the dirt if needbe and read that label.

the T-444E is reliable but doesnt have a lot of low-end torque, like an inline 6 cylinder (DT-466 / CUmmins 8.3) has. the 230 HP variant was better and was used in some rear engine busses.. but many times i see the 190s or 210s in those RE busses and thats going to be a slow rig with a full conversion and a durango for a toad.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
all that said, id srtill take the free bus if it runs regardless.. if you dont like it, put it on craigslist, flip it and collect 1500 bucks or so towards the ourchase of a bus that would suit you..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote