Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   School Bus Conversion Resources > Skoolie Tech > Mechanical and Drivetrains
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #1

2002 Thomas Saf-t-liner won't start - need to move in two weeks, lil help! :)

Hey everyone,

I lurk a lot but now I need to make a post!

I've have a 2002 Thomas Saf-T-Liner that won't start! It started about 3 months ago - just had a dead battery, I charged and it cranked right up...

But after it cranked, i think one of the pulleys seized up... there was a lot of rubber smoke coming out of the back, so I couldnt keep it on.

I went to the back and tried to take a look but couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from...

Fast forward to the past weekend - I've got the batteries charged up and trying to start - it's trying to start, I'm getting a lot of whirring but it won't start

just that classic movie "my car won't start" noise - except its a 34 foot long housebus.

Any ideas on what it could be - am i royally screwed?

thanks for the help!

AmbleAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Did you figure out the belt/seized pulley issue and replace the parts?
We need to know what specific motor you have and maybe some pics. To better help you.
There is a difference between turning over or trying to start?
The accessories are ran buy the belts and pulleys and won't stop the engine from firing and running.
You just won't have the use of whatever accessorie is/was ran buy that belt or pulley.
Air brakes,power steering,alternator to charge the batteries,AC, etc..
Good luck
Let us know the engine size.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #3

Thanks for that! I'll get all that info tomorrow and report as soon as I know. Appreciated!
AmbleAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
If you can pull the belt and hand spin pulleys. See if any stuck or loose/grinding. Does the motor spin fast? It takes alot to start a cold diesel. Other thing is fog with starting fluid. But recommend you know what your doing with it. Im thinking after it has sat prime may have bleed down.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Try to stay away from ether/starting fluid. There are safer alternatives for any diesel if you need to go that route.
Gasoline in a spray bottle is softer on them and will do the same job.
WD 40 is another alternative that also works.
Ether/starting fluid is a hard and heavy hitter that could cause damage to the engine if not used properly and some diesels actually become addicted to it.
Gas is a safer alternative and does the same job.
If you think it has lost prime then there are several ways to her for that and several things that old be causing that.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
ive never been under the hood (so to speak) but there is something that has frozen up on you in the most likely reason of the noise,rubber melting, smoking etc... I would like previous people have said look at the pulleys etc...the idler pulleys are usually to blame for most issues on cars... id look there....
SilentReprieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Try to stay away from ether/starting fluid. There are safer alternatives for any diesel if you need to go that route.
Gasoline in a spray bottle is softer on them and will do the same job.
WD 40 is another alternative that also works.
Ether/starting fluid is a hard and heavy hitter that could cause damage to the engine if not used properly and some diesels actually become addicted to it.
Gas is a safer alternative and does the same job.
If you think it has lost prime then there are several ways to her for that and several things that old be causing that.
Good luck
Jolly Rodger, I've seen people use WD40 as a starter fluid for diesels from many years ago, but curious after they switched from propane propellant, does it still work well, or was most of they bump you were getting from the propane they use to use as propellant?
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
If you have a grid heater (like I do in my 2001 saf t liner) don’t try starting fluid. First figure out the seized pulley. My bet would be alternator, but obviously that’s just a guess. Once that is sorted give the batteries a good soak charge and plug in the block heater for a couple of hours. Then give it a try and I bet it will start.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote