Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
366 replacement or supplier

Hey guys

I have a 1983 GMC 366 gas motor in my bus. It runs and drives with no issues. I have been on the look to see what a remanufactured motor is going to cost and or where to find one? From my search so far there seems to be a difference from a unit that has air brakes versus one that does not.

I would not call myself a motor head by any means. I have done my share of pulling and installing motors in cars and trucks. I have also done my share of rebuilding them as well so that is not out of the question.

I would like to try and find a unit to either rebuild or ready to install. I know this one will give it up sooner or later. It does not have a 100,000 digit on the odometer so who knows if its rolled a time or two?

So if you have some experience in buying... know where to buy....parts house.... etc. Let me know. I am in the looking stage so no rush on this as I am info gathering stage. I would like to have a ready unit at some point in time.

Thanks

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 366 replacement or supplier

I used to work for a company that used Jasper most of the time and ATK a few times never really had problems with either and if we did they were handled very quickly.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Juive Turkey

Thanks for the info. I looked at the Jasper site before I posted to see what they had. It more or less directed me to a dealer.

My question is ..... I assume there is a difference in block from a air unit versus a non air unit? I have BBC experience but none with air? So I want to make sure I get in to the right thing as this unit may sit for a while. I will get it built enough to start and break in on a test cell but dont really want to have a in and out unit ready to go?

I have read a lot of people may consider a different size engine but I think it would be a mistake due to the current gear and rpm range? I have access to a 454 but I dont think its the right choice.

This is a party bus so super long hauls on a regular basis are not on its to do list.

Do you remember what kind of a price range that runs?
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
My question is ..... I assume there is a difference in block from a air unit versus a non air unit?

Do you remember what kind of a price range that runs?

There are numbers that are cast into the block when it is made. You should make the dealer or rebuilder aware of these numbers that are on your block when you order. If there is a difference they will make sure you get the right block by those numbers.

Price range? You got me. I have seen engines cost as little as 1,200 on up to over 10,000 dollars.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote