Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #1

84 bluebird 370 power steering and oi l questions

I have an 84 Ford Bluebird school bus with a 370 you all may know her as Gracie it was a build done on this side all the way up I bought about a year ago and I've been living in it since I love it very much. My question is about the power steering fluid I was told that I needed to automatic transmission fluid instead of power steering fluid and I'm wondering what kind I'm not necessarily going to trust the guy at O'Reilly'. Also I had questions about how the compressor for the air brakes is oiled and about the transmission cooler. I'm also wondering what the best route to take to Oregon from Colorado Springs would be I'm going to the Eugene area

James ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #2

How does the compressor and air dryer oil itself /cool itself and are there any warning sighn of this compressor
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Ok, I'll take a stab at this.

Ford, back in the good ol' days, used automatic transmission fluid as their power steering fluid for many reasons. My '88 B 600 uses it too. So the guy from O'Reily's is correct for this particular year. ATF fluid for an '84 Ford whatever will always work for your application.

The air compressor is oiled from the engine oil. You can verify this by looking at the air compressor and finding a small steel tube coming from the engine going to the air compressor. This is the oil tube for the air compressor. It is cooled both by this oil and the air around the compressor. Looking again at the compressor we will see steel fins that are connected to the compressor cylinder. These fins are heat sinks for the air compressor to help dissipate heat from the compressor. The bottom of the compressor allows the oil that is now hot to dump back into the engine to be cooled in the oil pan and pumped back into the engine to repeat the process all over again.

As far as the air dryer is concerned, it's very rare for those to go out. It's usually a stand-alone piece with very few parts to worry about.

As far as what to watch out for if the compressor wears out? Abnormal noises just like in any other internal combustion engine. However, since the compressor does not combust fuel in the pressure chamber, timing and other issues concerning the fuel burning process do not apply. Unusual knocks and rattles are the big signs of trouble.

Hope this helps.

M1031
Old 08-10-2015, 02:36 AM   #4

Thanks I understand that i need ATF just wondering what kind. The guy suggested stuff thaat on the bottle flat out says for gm not ford.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
So long as the bottle says it's ok for Ford you're good to go.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
It might say on the dip stick in the reservoir, some of the trucks I drove from the 80's used motor oil in the power steering
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Look on the cap or dipstick. It should say what you need to use. I'd try and use atf if you have it, although power steering fluid would probably work. As for atf, it's probably just their standard, house brand ATF that is DexIII/mercon rated. If it won't work, the pump will whine like hell so listen for that.

As far as the compressor, most are oiled by the engine( a few rare ones are self contained) Most are air cooled, however some larger ones are water cooled by the engine cooling system.

Your air dryer can wear out. Aside from the check and purge valves leaking/breaking, the desiccant will lose efficiency overtime and can also become saturated with engine oil from a worn compressor, rendering the dryer completely useless.

Compressors are just a piston pump and the rings on them will wear out overtime. That will pass engine oil into the system and also cause the air pressure to build up slower.

What's your question about transmission coolers?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote