Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
A couple more engine questions

Please and thank you!

It's a Cummins 24v 5.9 in a 2003 TC, I think it shows up now under my name.
Anyway, I had it running for about ten minutes at the end of the night tonight. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on.

A. That's just because it's time for an oil change? Just like my car? There's another Maint light that lights while the gauges are checking, so I assume that's the trouble light.

B. If I do an oil change, how do I reset that light? I haven't google searched that yet. I am looking for a mechanic. Actually, we have ports here, there's a lot to choose from. Making the right choice I figure I should research more on. The bus is sitting for a few months now anyway.

The bus is sitting now, for a month to maybe three. Sending away for the Vermont registration, then insurance after that. I paid a 2000$ ticket years ago for no insurance, so I am not driving this uninsured.

C. I came home over 500 miles on a 60 gallon tank, I am unsure how empty it is, I figured if it's sitting I don't need to pay for the diesel. Is that right or wrong? I heard different things. Should I add a stabilizer to the gas? Can you even do that with diesel?

D. Should I disconnect the battery if it's sitting for a month? For three months? Should I just run it for an hour now and then? I was told that doesn't help the engine without driving it and letting everything get hot. But does it hurt it?

That's it for now. I should have worked more on engines growing up, but I know so little, especially diesels. I appreciate the help.

JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
A) Your "Check Engine" light is not related to maintenance or oil changes. You need to scan the system to get codes.

B) See above.

C) Diesel can last many years without issues. Sometimes algae can develop over time is conditions are right.

D) It is better to move and drive the bus good and warm once a month to keep everything working like the brakes, but if you are not able then it won't hurt to hook a charger to the batteries once a month and leave it sit. Running the engine is optional, but it's best to run it to operating temp before shutting down.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
A) Your "Check Engine" light is not related to maintenance or oil changes. You need to scan the system to get codes.

B) See above.

C) Diesel can last many years without issues. Sometimes algae can develop over time is conditions are right.

D) It is better to move and drive the bus good and warm once a month to keep everything working like the brakes, but if you are not able then it won't hurt to hook a charger to the batteries once a month and leave it sit. Running the engine is optional, but it's best to run it to operating temp before shutting down.

Thanks for the answers. I don't think I will have problems with the diesel. We don't get cold here and I think I can drive it within the month.

There is a maintenance light and a service engine soon light. It's the second one that came on. But yeah I guess the computer needs to have the codes read to answer the question!
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote