Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16
Acceleration/Trans Question

Hey guys hoping someone can help here. Long story short, we backed our bus into a downward hill and the muffler got filled up with a little bit of dirt. We cleaned it out but driving the bus after that the bus wouldn't accelerate for a few seconds and then after you hit 35-40 you would get a loud humming noise from the engine that got louder and louder as you got higher. Also couldn't push it past 60 for the first time. It almost felt like it wasn't falling to gear any ideas what the problem might be? We cleaned out the tailpipe of all the dirt but maybe we screwed up something? I'm taking it to a guy to look at it Monday hopefully but I was hoping I could get some insight on here, thanks!

Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Exhaust dirt

Have someone start the bus, and you go to the end of the exhaust. Notice the sound and volumn of the exhaust gases. Now have the someone rev up the engine up to the govenor speed. Notice the sound and volumn of the exhaust. If the exhaust is restricted, you can cut off the rear tailpipe or make a hole in the pipe and attempt to blow out any restriction with an air hose. If the dirt is not blown out, then cut off about 3 feet of the end of the pipe. If the bus has a turbo, no muffler is needed. School bus and others have a very restrictive muffler. I have shortened many exhaust pipes and routed the pipe to the side of the bus, so the color of the exhaust can be seen. Removing the muffler also clears carbon from the system , increases power and mileage and makes a nice throaty hum. A nice exhaust sound is good. Should the engine make a misbeat, the noise is quickly heard. Cold in Idaho. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Acceleration/Trans Question

You probably crushed or kinked the pipe somaplace...just have to find out where. I'd crawl under the bus & just trace the pipe starting at the end. Someplace, I expect you'll find either a section squashed almost flat from hitting the ground or a section kinked due to being pushed forward. An exhaust shop can easily cut out either damage & splice in a new pipe.

I do suggest moving the tailpipe so it exits just behind the left rear duals to prevent a repeat occurance...the exhaust shop can do that, too.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16
Re: Acceleration/Trans Question

I looked under the bus and tracked the pipe and found nothing so far. Will try to check how the exhaust sounds when my buddy gets here. How much would something like fixing the exhaust run?

Edit: Ok, whew. I think I found a little crack on the thick part of the exhaust pipe, you know when it goes from a cylinder to a box looking shape back to a cylinder. I found a 6" long crack on the box. Looks like wear and tear but banging the entire thing probably cracked it. I will run the engine and see if anything comes out from that.