Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Air injection (emissions on the engine)

I am considering taking mine off. Yeah I know its probably not the best thing in the world but I dont think its going to really do very much. I am not really worried about the inspection as most commercial trucks dont have to pass emissions test (its a 366 gas motor) here in TX when they are over a certain weight.

I am thinking taking that air pump off and fabbing up a 2nd alternator? I am not totally sure what size i have as I dont want to take it off but Im going to guess in the 80 amp range. Its a sizeable unit but I cant see it being any bigger. I am planning on running say 4 deep cycle batteries and a pretty sizeable stereo system on board off the 12 volt side.

This way i could use the current alternator for starting and simple on board items and the other for the larger demanding things?

I have read many 366 motors having a dual setup but I think finding the parts are going to be a challenge?

Let me know the pros and cons of my thinking. This is all in the planning stage.

Bapos

bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Dual alternators

I do not understand the need for a second alternator. I do not understand the need for an alternator that produces over 100 amps. A good or bad gen set will do every task faster and better. The only good feature of a large alternator, or two units or a high output unit is the rate of a bank of batteries recharge. My Crown has just 2-900cca batteries. I also use several inverters. The refrig is 120vac and needs only a small inverter to work great.
After removing the air pump, connect some LPG or water or water/alcohol. Easy task for more power. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote