Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Still dreaming about a bus
Allison 2000 Series

Before I pull the trigger on a Ebay bus, does anyone have anything to say about the Allison 2000 series 5 speed automatic? Good, bad, or otherwise? It is coupled to a Int'l 7.8.

The auction closes this afternoon. I don't want to miss out, but I don't need a POS either.

Thanks!!

Lamacose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
By all accounts they are superior to the 545 and 643. However, you have to run the Transynd fluid, and as these are still fairly "current" bits of hardware, replacements are not cheap.

I have not personally heard of anyone hating these things. Others will hopefully chime-in with personal (instead of third-hand) experiences.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you. I have since spoken to the local school bus guy, he pretty much agreed with you along with that service can be expensive due to the electronics.

I have put in my max bid and will leave it up to the stars from here.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamacose View Post
Thank you. I have since spoken to the local school bus guy, he pretty much agreed with you along with that service can be expensive due to the electronics.

You can't win if you don't play. Good luck

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The 2000 seroes Allies are great trannies. And Transynd is a godsend in my book. Expensive yes, but can handle heat better than anything on the market.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Sorry I didn't see this before now. The auction's probably over by now.

In case it hasn't ended, I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in. I have a medium duty rollback truck with an Allison 2400 behind a Cummins ISB. I've put 50,000 trouble free miles on the truck since I bought it. It has a little over 300,000 on the odometer now. Transmission shifts great and does fantastic at holding your speed back going down hills loaded. I've come through Fancy Gap on I-77 a couple times at about 25,500 lbs, and I never felt worried about over-using my brakes.

So did you win the auction??
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

it's not quite over. I was just outbid. I not sure what I am going to do. I reached my max but I may go a bit higher.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
it's not quite over. I was just outbid. I not sure what I am going to do. I reached my max but I may go a bit higher.

Thanks for the info
Good luck!

I remember that process well, and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that stress anymore.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I didn't get the bus. It went for $3700. Doesn't seem too bad of a price for that unit. I just wasn't ready to go that high right now. Wanted to keep some of my Christmas bonus. Talked to the seller, would definitely bid on his stuff again.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Sorry I didn't see this before now. The auction's probably over by now.

In case it hasn't ended, I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in. I have a medium duty rollback truck with an Allison 2400 behind a Cummins ISB. I've put 50,000 trouble free miles on the truck since I bought it. It has a little over 300,000 on the odometer now. Transmission shifts great and does fantastic at holding your speed back going down hills loaded. I've come through Fancy Gap on I-77 a couple times at about 25,500 lbs, and I never felt worried about over-using my brakes.

So did you win the auction??
fancy gap is definitely a decent test.. though ive run it with my DT360 and my AT545 and didnt use much brake at all..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks to all for all the feed back. I really appreciate the help. This is the third bus I have looked at. Each time I have gained a ton of knowledge or shall I say I was skooled. This is my first time dealing with Ebay. Not real thrilled how the auction ended, but I guess that is to be expected. Live and learn. We'll get there eventually
Old 12-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Quote:
Not instant gratification, but certainly much less headache and hassle
I have enjoyed such good results with leaving things to the stars. I enjoy the saying ; "The universe has three answers; Yes, not yet, and "I have something better for you"
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
fancy gap is definitely a decent test.. though ive run it with my DT360 and my AT545 and didnt use much brake at all..
-Christopher
But what was your weight? I had to keep it under 40 to feel like I had a chance of stopping if I needed to. The more weight you have, the harder (and more necessary) it is to keep your speed down.

Quote:
I didn't get the bus. It went for $3700. Doesn't seem too bad of a price for that unit. I just wasn't ready to go that high right now. Wanted to keep some of my Christmas bonus. Talked to the seller, would definitely bid on his stuff again.
Sorry it didn't work out. Auctions can be frustrating like that.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
But what was your weight? I had to keep it under 40 to feel like I had a chance of stopping if I needed to. The more weight you have, the harder (and more necessary) it is to keep your speed down.

Sorry it didn't work out. Auctions can be frustrating like that.
im not sure what my actual weight is..its my 7 row carpenter.. its GVWR is 27500, I have yet to weight it.. it doesnt have much weight added over base stock.. actually probably very close to base empty stock weight as I took out some seats and then added in an A/C system and some batteries, a tiny cube frig, but no water tanks, new walls or anything.. its basically like a regular school bus.

maybe the AT545 has good holding power for lighter busses but not heavy ones.. both of my busses running 545s seem to pull right down when I drop into '3' on the hills.. totally opposite of what everyone says a 545 will do.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote