Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 250
Rated Cap: 31
Allison 3000 fluid hose replacement

I need to replace a hose on a 1999 Blue Bird Q-Bus with Allison B300R. There is a big fat hose going to what looks like an accumulator (?) which is leaking. I have the replacement, and the 2" flare nut crow's foot needed to swap it. What I don't have is any institutional knowledge. WTF is that thing, and is a bunch of fluid going to come out of it when I disconnect it even if I drain the transmission? Finally, how much torque should I put on the fittings?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180913_165030.jpg   IMG_20180913_165100.jpg  

hyperlogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

In theory I have it figured, wish me luck

http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Manua...nsmissions.pdf

pp. 69

"Connect the hydraulic hose between the retarder and the accumulator. Tighten hose fittings to 68-81 Nm (50-60 lb ft)."

Gonna fill 'er up with All-Trans, and new filters.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

If anyone is still following this, good news. I triumphed over adversity.

PB Blaster freed up the transmission connection such that I could remove the hose with my bay-scored flare nut crow's foot. The upper connection (at the accumulator) was a much bigger PITA. I had to cut it off by sawzall and by grinder in order to get a real socket on it, and rattle the remnant off. Unfortunately it's mounted horizontally way up near the floor... behind a bunch of other stuff, so that took quite some time. Torqued new hose to 50 ft-lb. Just waiting now for the pail of All-Trans, and the filter pack.

Speaking of filter pack, all the documentation is emphatic about not needing to drain the transmission in order to change the filters. But that raises the question... really? And if so, how much fluid does come out?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Thanks for sharing .I have b300r as well and love the retarder. Did you get a warning for low fluid level? It seems that my accumulator is actually a large air activated piston that pushes the oil into the retarder. similar to yours?

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlogos View Post

Speaking of filter pack, all the documentation is emphatic about not needing to drain the transmission in order to change the filters. But that raises the question... really? And if so, how much fluid does come out?
I changed filters on my MD3060 last year and I would say roughly 3-4 gallons of fluid comes out.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Thanks for sharing .I have b300r as well and love the retarder. Did you get a warning for low fluid level? It seems that my accumulator is actually a large air activated piston that pushes the oil into the retarder. similar to yours?
Yes, I have the same kind of system. I did get a warning for low fluid level the last time I wanted to start it up, but that's when I drained it and did the hose instead. I supposedly have to wait yet another week for the fluid to appear, before I mess with it again.

I only manually actuated the retarder with the lever, I haven't experimented with service brake pedal actuation yet. But it was great going over the CA 20 between the 101 and 1, there's some steep stuff on the 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensch26 View Post
I changed filters on my MD3060 last year and I would say roughly 3-4 gallons of fluid comes out.
Wow, that's almost all of it. I'm not sure precisely how much fluid I need to put in; I have a feeling that the data in the owner's manual doesn't account for the retarder, but it calls for 20 quarts. I ordered a pail and I have two gallons and a bit besides. I put the same stuff (all-trans supreme) in my 1998 Audi A8 Quattro. I will put the filters in before the fluid

Tags
allison, hoses, transmission