Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E (250h.p.)
Rated Cap: 81
Anybody converting mechanical fan to electric on their RE?

I see there's been some talk converting the belt-driven radiator fan with an electric fan for cooling. My bus's system appears to be in good shape, but it sure looks like there's a lot of wasted energy the way it's set up on my SafTLiner. Anybody else converted to something better? Has anybody tested the Taurus fan setup on their RE bus? I've noticed that Les' SafTLiner has electric fans. Was this an aftermarket swap? If so, how's it setup?
Rick
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Mine is hydraulically operated. I have a RE blue Bird.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Anybody converting mechanical fan to electric on their R

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie
I see there's been some talk converting the belt-driven radiator fan with an electric fan for cooling. My bus's system appears to be in good shape, but it sure looks like there's a lot of wasted energy the way it's set up on my SafTLiner. Anybody else converted to something better? Has anybody tested the Taurus fan setup on their RE bus? I've noticed that Les' SafTLiner has electric fans. Was this an aftermarket swap? If so, how's it setup?
Rick
I don't know if the electric fans were original or not. The bus originally had a Cummins Triple Nickel (VT-225) engine; 8 years ago the Cat 3208 was installed so I don't know if the electric fans were installed then or whether they've always been there.

If you want more detailed photos of that area I can sure take some.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
Skoolie

Les, that would be great. What I have seems to be in great shape but it's kinda noisy and according to some of the other posts I've read could save some hp on the 3208. Looking around it seems that the Ford Taurus fans are plenty adequate, and new replacement ones look like they're only running about $70. I know the shrouds are important so I would love to see how it's all set up on your bus.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Here's a more detailed photo:

There are more and in much larger sizes in this album:

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skooli ... n/radfans/

For orientation...the rear engine compartment doors are open, I'm facing toward the left (in)side of the bus. In the photos the engine is just outside the right hand edge of the photo.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:54 PM   #6
Skoolie

Thanks Les - I don't have any excuses not to convert to electric! Just a matter of when...
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #7

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: c/60
Engine: 366 tall deck
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Anybody converting mechanical fan to electric on their RE?

I put in 3 junkyard fans on a 366 tall deck gasser. Using 2 adjustable electric thermostats for the fans, one set for about 185 degrees controls the 2 smaller fans on one side(a turbo saab fan and a toyota 4 cyl fan). The other thermostat about 190 degrees controls the big taurus fan. I now have good fan coverage of the radiator, and each shroud was custom fitted to seal right up against the radiator.

The initial test was done with only 2 fans, and I did not get enough cooling on a hot day going up hills. So I added the 3rd fan, and have not tested it yet.

If driving up hills is still a challenge, I will install 2 hi-flow coolant thermostats (mr gasket fits a chevy). A 366 tall deck uses 2 coolant thermostats for increased flow, but in theory the hi-flow units should provide even more coolant flow through the radiator. For $18 for 2 thermostats, it is worth a try. Anything you can do to increase flow through the radiator will result in better cooling. Ditto for increased air flow through radiator.

If the 2 hiflow thermostats still do not help enuf, I may install a windshield wiper squirter in front of the radiator and plumb it to my 50 gal water tank, with a switch, for the big hills, and also cut out a little sheet metal on the front grill for better airflow. Maybe even install some side body vents to vent hot air from the engine bay.

My stock fan was a 5 blade, 22.5" dia, high pitch fan with no clutch!!! Radiator is a copper 3 core. My guess is the electronic set up might be good for 10 ft lbs of torque, as the stock set up had a huge, constant drive fan.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84

I would definatley consider the Taurus fans. I have used them for years on my vehicles from 4cyl to 8cyl. But I have never put one on a big diesel before. I'd like to know the cfm of the current belt driven fan before I put on an electric. I think most RE buses use a hybrid type mecanical fan which is a belt driven hydraulic pump off of the engine. And the hydraulic pump turns the fan. Not sure why they use this set up other than the fact the engine faces rearward and the fans face to the side. It seems this could be done 100% mecanically without the use of the hydro pump if desired. Therefore it makes me wonder if it is a more efficent method, not robbing as much engine power. If that is the case, you may not experience a noticealbe performance gain with a electric fan. That said, mine is cooling the engine well so I will likely just leave the stock fan in mine.
tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

I'm putting an electric fan on my RE GMC but I will be keeping the mechanical fan, I am using it as a precaution for getting the head to hot instead of trying to get a little more power.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 AM   #10

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: Cat 3208

So I am about to embark on the change from my hydraulic fan to an electric i was wondering what where the difficulties you had in the process...Also what is the best type of fan will a Taurus fan really work? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Bamboozle is offline   Reply With Quote