Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
At545 comments

Been 2 years since I changed trans fluid from ? to WM Supertech Dex 3 . No usage, no discolor and no 1st to 2nd sounds.

4500 miles...estimate.

Towing up to 4500 lbs., up and down 6% and sometimes more.

Manual downshifts often.

For us the 545 is a non-issue.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
that's good to hear, I suspect SOME of the people that take issue with their AT545, are perhaps not driving according to their setup.

Of course it also helps if it wasn't a heavy footed hooligan driving it in its first life.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the later 545's dont make much sound..

the 545 in my DEV bus is one of the older ones and has that Awesomely-Cool 545 sound.. and im at close to 18000 on that one since I got it in 2016 and it still works like it always did.. im not towing with mine but have been known to run it flat out at 65 And floored going up and down mountains of the eastern 1/2 of the country... not rockies but there are some long grades.. i also downshift it manuall as well.. and its fluid is still good and it shifts nice and firm.. no complaints and i'll likely keep that trans in that bus.

that said, the 1000 series in my red bus is a MARKED improvement esp out on the road...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
that's good to hear, I suspect SOME of the people that take issue with their AT545, are perhaps not driving according to their setup.

Of course it also helps if it wasn't a heavy footed hooligan driving it in its first life.
I'd 2nd this. If you have an at545, you have to be cognizant of the fact that it's not bullet proof. It requires clean fluid and can't be abused on a regular basis. You have to watch what you're doing when driving and pay attention to avoid scenarios that it's not capable of doing.

Yes, not having a lock up torque converter is a drawback. But to label the thing as trash to avoid is unnecessary. Take your time while driving and it will work for most.

If you have an at545, the first thing to do is check/change the fluid. The second thing to do is install a fluid temp gauge for you to monitor when you're overworking it and back it down a few nothces.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Hey Booyah,

"If you have an at545, the first thing to do is check/change the fluid. The second thing to do is install a fluid temp gauge for you to monitor when you're overworking it"

In the process of installing a pan temperature sensor, trans fluid supply and return temperature and an after the auxillary cooler temperature sensor.
Why?
Because I can
Also, the aux trans cooler fan and the engine electric fans will both be on HOA switches so they can be played with do see what kind of difference the fans make.
The goal is to make it run at the happy temp whether the bus is grinding up the back side of Tioga pass in the summer or running down the freeway in the dead of winter.

Why yes, I do own stock in Glowshift...
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote