Old 08-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #11
Almost There

Well, as a bit of a newbie myself, I'm glad to see the turn this thread has taken. I've been seriously considering not coming back here any more. I was concerned that the attitude towards new people was being tolerated.

The less of a friendly welcome that newcomers receive, the less new build threads there will be, until all that's left are a handful of the regular posters wondering where everyone went.
ElizaHasAPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
I will say this in responce
1)you need a diesel
2)you need airbrakes
3)you do not need a AT545
4)jake brakes would be awesome (not all engines can have them put on)
5)an exhaust brake may help the other engines (if tranny supports it)
thats a few
tiny little correction: "jake brake" IS an exhaust brake. For #5 probably bansil meant to say "retarder." My Allison B300R has one, and it's quite nice when descending mountain grades. They can extend brake life on a city bus in the flat land too, but that's probably not a big deal to most of us since we won't be stopping every other block like city buses do!

IIRC a retarder was available on the MD3060 -- probably the data plate on the tranny would say model "MD3060R" if it were in there. I think it's a build option though; my gut feel is it wouldn't be something one would retrofit. Also, at least in the case of the Allison retarders, there'll be a tell-tale on-off switch and six-position lever switch in the driver compartment for controlling it. If those aren't present then the tranny doesn't have a retarder.
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
tiny little correction: "jake brake" IS an exhaust brake. For #5 probably bansil meant to say "retarder." My Allison B300R has one, and it's quite nice when descending mountain grades. They can extend brake life on a city bus in the flat land too, but that's probably not a big deal to most of us since we won't be stopping every other block like city buses do!

IIRC a retarder was available on the MD3060 -- probably the data plate on the tranny would say model "MD3060R" if it were in there. I think it's a build option though; my gut feel is it wouldn't be something one would retrofit. Also, at least in the case of the Allison retarders, there'll be a tell-tale on-off switch and six-position lever switch in the driver compartment for controlling it. If those aren't present then the tranny doesn't have a retarder.
An exhaust brake isn't a REAL jake.
A real jake involves some serious modifications.
from wiki-
Quote:
A compression release engine brake, frequently called a Jake brake or Jacobs brake, is an engine braking mechanism installed on some diesel engines. When activated, it opens exhaust valves in the cylinders after the compression cycle, releasing the compressed air trapped in the cylinders, and slowing the vehicle.
Although Jake brake properly refers to the Jacobs brand of engine brakes, the term has become a genericized trademark and is often used to refer to engine brakes or compression release engine brakes in general, especially on large vehicles or heavy equipment.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Jakes are mounted actually under the valve cover and when activated they do not allow the valves to operate as normal giving more engine braking

exhaust brakes use a valve in the exhaust like on a 5.9 or a 7.3

and a retarder brake uses pressure on a driveshaft to slow vehicle down
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Rats! OK, you're both right, I got "engine" and "exhaust" brake mixed up (or rather, thought they were equivalent when in fact they aren't).

Anyway.. I had thought bansil was saying the tranny needed to support the exhaust brake, as if it were to be installed in/on the tranny. That's why I thought he meant retarder (which actually could be installed in/on a tranny). But I'm realizing now that probably what was meant is that some trannies transmit power in only one direction: engine to driveline. To use an exhaust brake (or an engine brake, for that matter?) the tranny has to support transmitting power from driveline back to the engine. Some designs would freewheel, while others can hold their clutches so that power applied at either side shows up at the other side. Is that what you were meaning bansil?
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #16
Site Team

yes the tranny needs to be able to lock the convertor for the exhaust brake to be effective

I will have one whenever I get to swapping my tranny out (AT545 slip-o-matic doesnt support a locking convertor, one of the reasons they do not work good around where I live, they slip too much and create excess heat
Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
yes the tranny needs to be able to lock the convertor for the exhaust brake to be effective

I will have one whenever I get to swapping my tranny out (AT545 slip-o-matic doesnt support a locking convertor, one of the reasons they do not work good around where I live, they slip too much and create excess heat
I can't believe they spec 545's in the mountains. Even the little eastern mountains.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I was never and have never bashed a new member.

If I build you a fire every time you ask, life will be good as long as some one that can build fire is around.

If I force you to lean to build your own fire with a Little bit of guidance, you will become self sufficient and do far better in life for it.

Searching is that fire. Once you learn how, everything you need is already here.

I need all folks to remember that any thing I post is just my opinion. Nothing is personal, and I'm happy that this site has nearly twice the members it did this time last year.

This time of year I don't take the time to write nice, detailed, informative, long posts. Come winter, I love making how to's, and full page detailed posts.

So grow some skin folks. Come on back, post some pics, and lets all talk skoolie.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #19
Site Team

our mnts are shorter....but they are older and the climb to 3900' is a long way when in 1st gear at 2200 rpms
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Rats! OK, you're both right, I got "engine" and "exhaust" brake mixed up (or rather, thought they were equivalent when in fact they aren't).
Very easy to do. Especially when Jacobs company makes both engine and exhaust brakes . A key thing to remember is that engine/compression brakes are only on larger engines, But an exhaust brake can be used on just about any diesel engine (the Navistar 7.3 is one that can't, Jacobs has a write up on it if you want to read more).
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote