Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Best drive train?

Wonderful site...spent this weekend reading from it and....getting 'looks' from wife that tell me I need to be doing something else. Oh, well, new day...

New to this forum, it's great. I'm looking to buy a bus for rv conversion. Which is the best drive train? Whether front engine, or pusher, there are quite a few types, which ones perform and last the longest? Most importantly: which ones to avoid? Things such as 'cavitation' can ruin one's day. I'm leaning toward front engine, leaving the rear for bike storage. We hope to go anywhere an rv can, flat interstates to the Rockies. I've never worked diesels and the hp ratings seem low for that much weight, but the must perform well, or there would not be many out there. I understand gearing and rearend ratios, just have no experience with which is best? Is 70mph on flat surface as a cruising speed unrealistic? I know there will be differing opinions on this, but I'll read them all. I suppose dependability is top priohttp://www.skoolie.net/forum/ucp.ph ... FFD1SGrity. Appreciate all help!

rlohrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Best drive train?

Diesel engines are about torque not horsepower. That is why the numbers seem low to you, they are.
newtoskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Forgive my lack of proper nomenclature. Tractors are generally on the low end of hp, or were when I was young and the can literally pull stumps. Im looking at longevity, dependability and cost of operation...just like most people, I suppose. Like I mentioned, cavitation can drastically shorten the life of an IDI. That is good to know if I have one. Looking for experience that doesn't mind speaking. Mistakes are usually costly even though we have the oportunity to learn.
Thanks
rlohrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

hey hey why the use of such big words? the tool that has helped me the most is the search bar in the upper right hand corner.

If you wanna stay away from cavitation, look for a bus with records. Proper maitenance is the key, stay away from fords they had the most problems.
newtoskool is offline   Reply With Quote