Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Blue Bird TC2000 Manual Transmission

Hey all, somewhat new to the site. Currently running a 1987 International 54 passenger with 9.0 diesel and five speed Spicer manual. I love the bus but we're really looking for a flat nose. Unfortunately flat nosed buses are impossible to find with manual transmissions and a good Crown is out of our price range. So I got to digging around to see if there were any manual-swapped flat nosed buses and all I could find was this video of a TC2000 with five speed manual AND! a two-speed rearend. So I've scoured the web and found absolutely nothing. I'm wondering if anyone on here has even seen one of these? Any info on engine, transmission, gearing, model years equipped with manuals? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/6cttymCGhCo

bartthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
Me too

I just bought a 5.9 powered blue bird with 545, and have been wondering the same thing. I have been wondering how to hang a clutch pedal, and or how to work shift linkage aways back. Perhaps linkage setup from a cabover? or perhaps mimic the old air cooled vw linkage setup with paralel bars? I have often hoped to find a 7 speed od single box by fuller/eaton for a dodge med duty swap, and have a roadranger 13 speed (5 main, dir/od and deep reduction) which could work with the bus I suppose. It would be way overkill for a dodge, probably for bus too. I am sure interested to see what anyone comes up with. Also things to ponder would be built chrysler 47 re/rh swaps as at least lots of aftermarket parts available from diesel power chasers and options for married gear vendors?. If I could find aftermarket parts or advise for 545 I'd be interested such as aftermarket high flow pump, (full line pressure not up until 2400rpm) and shift kits (orfice plates to chance shift points to favor 3k govenor springs) perhaps two speed brownie, or swap in an older 2 speed rear. Frankly I'm not seeing the 545 as a terrible tranny its viewed as an oversized 727 of sorts as no overdrive or lock up tc availible. But with middle of the road gears, makes it hard on brakes in the mountains and hard on fuel on any highway. With high low gears made available and taylorable line pressure it could become reliable and dare I say desirable? Presently I am stuck 3000 miles form home for now so my hands are tied from playing with my toys, Thankfully I finally found a forum worth trolling and tossing my 2 cents in here.
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Manual transmissions in flatnose front engine buses has been done before but it involves a very long shift linkage.

Years ago my company used to have a pair of early 90s Bluebird All Americans with the manual transmission but apparently they were converted to MT643 after awhile (this is all decades before I started working there but one of the mechanics told me the story).

He said the main issues with them was lack of space for a shifter (since there is maybe 3-4 inches of space between the drivers seat and the doghouse and the linkage made shifting difficult.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveguam View Post
I just bought a 5.9 powered blue bird with 545, and have been wondering the same thing. I have been wondering how to hang a clutch pedal, and or how to work shift linkage aways back. Perhaps linkage setup from a cabover? or perhaps mimic the old air cooled vw linkage setup with paralel bars? I have often hoped to find a 7 speed od single box by fuller/eaton for a dodge med duty swap, and have a roadranger 13 speed (5 main, dir/od and deep reduction) which could work with the bus I suppose. It would be way overkill for a dodge, probably for bus too. I am sure interested to see what anyone comes up with. Also things to ponder would be built chrysler 47 re/rh swaps as at least lots of aftermarket parts available from diesel power chasers and options for married gear vendors?. If I could find aftermarket parts or advise for 545 I'd be interested such as aftermarket high flow pump, (full line pressure not up until 2400rpm) and shift kits (orfice plates to chance shift points to favor 3k govenor springs) perhaps two speed brownie, or swap in an older 2 speed rear. Frankly I'm not seeing the 545 as a terrible tranny its viewed as an oversized 727 of sorts as no overdrive or lock up tc availible. But with middle of the road gears, makes it hard on brakes in the mountains and hard on fuel on any highway. With high low gears made available and taylorable line pressure it could become reliable and dare I say desirable? Presently I am stuck 3000 miles form home for now so my hands are tied from playing with my toys, Thankfully I finally found a forum worth trolling and tossing my 2 cents in here.
I have worked out the solution to this. I actually forgot I had even posted this thread. What you need to source is an Eaton unit from a cabover semi. You’ll likely be stuck with 9-13 unsynchronized gears as I don’t think they really installed 7 speeds in OTR rigs. If you do some digging on FB marketplace you can likely find a cabover that’s being parted out. You’ll notice that the trans in cabovers have an XY device where the shifter would usually come out of the top of the trans, then a solid linkage that goes up to the shift tower base. It’s likely you’ll need to adjust the length of the linkage but other than that and sourcing the proper flywheel and clutch, you should be able to rob basically everything needed from a cabover including clutch linkage and pedal/mounting hardware.
bartthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
The seven speeds I've only seen are only in medium duty trucks such as sterling cabs and fl60/fl70 cabs I can imagine much for cabovers as you said. cummins uses a sae bellhousing so clutch and flywheel are all pretty attainable, hope to get a chance to look onto a wrecked cabover at some point. (I think I know where an old rotted out mack water truck might be to fit the ticket) at least for linkage and clutch pedal hardware. for shifter tower I already Intend to french in a fiberglass box to be 24 inches above floor and hang 6" below the frame directly behind the driver seat to support bed inside and battery and tool storage under with outside access. Might be able to run linkage in a console jutting forward running forward through back side of box to tranny top? as long as console doesn't protrude out to prevent doghouse from opening. At this point dreaming as the bus and tape measure are out of reach here for now.
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue bird, manual transmission, tc2000