Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Year: 93
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 35
Brake issue?

Hello. I recentley purchased a 1993 Ford Bluebird 35 passenger bus with the cummins 5.9 and from what I read online so far the lucas brake system. It may the coolest thing I have ever owned, and It is proudly displayed in my driveway. I drove it home a week ago with no problems, and have started it several times this week. A few days ago I noticed a buzzer sound when I turned on the keyswitch to operate the inside lighting at night. Yesterday when I tryed to start it, I have a continuous buzzer sound, a "ding, ding" sound, and a "MOTOR E BRAKE" light on the warning light section. The starter does not engage. Any suggestions where to start?

electromanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger
Re: Brake issue?

Make sure you don't have any emergency doors open. Not sure about the "E-Brake" light

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

The fault is obviously over riding your starter solinoid, therefore it has a relay ahead of that. It might be what the previous posted said. the clue will be the 'motor e brake' light. will be nice to see if any of the other bluebird guys will tell you...

you can always join the busconversions. com forum, and ask those guys as several are real experts....

course, if it were mine, i would probably end up bypassing the relay... i did that on several of them on my thomas...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: Int. DT466

I'm not familiar with those brakes. Are they air brakes? With my air brakes if the pressure in my air tank is too low (if the bus sits too long) an emergency buzzer will sound until the air compressor fills it up to a safe level. That would kinda make sense with the motor e brake light but i would imagine it would still let you start up.
kyletheyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Year: 93
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Cummins 5.9

Woohoo! Just heard the wonderful sound of a cummins firing up. The problem was..... The relay that sends power to the starter solenoid. This relay is mounted in the engine compartment just below the drivers window. I could hear the solenoid clicking in. Put a voltmeter on it and nothing was getting through the power contacts. Ok, so I did try to wack it with a brass hammer a couple of times, (didn't fix it). Then I put a "magic" jumper wire across the terminals while the misses hit the key switch. Voila! Engine started and all the warning lights and buzzers shut off. I have the hydraulic brake setup. Thanks for all the help, and suggestions. I've over come the first problem with my new bus, and am getting more familiar with it now. Thanks again.

Travis.
electromanj is offline   Reply With Quote