Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Smile Brake lines sizes

Hi all

New member, still not sure if I will jump on a skoolie or a coach conversion. I am going to look at a 1993 B600 shortie at a remote location but can't drive it due to split brake line. I would like to know what size the line and connector (ie 3/8" line SAE or metric?) are so I can bring a brake line repair kit (ie from master cyl to chassis line feeds)

This would save me having to drive 2 hrs round trip to take parts off bus, go to parts store, and return again.

thanks in advance

Ken

kjurkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

I hate to say this but there are so many different variables over the years and over the different models it is hard to say exactly what might be the size of the brake line on that particular bus.

Most were 3/8" and most were SAE. I doubt any were Metric.

But giving an opinion on what the correct length and size might be would be a WAG.

It must be in a really remote area if it is more than an hour away from a parts store.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Bus Geek

could also have lucas girling brakes and may be a split airhose?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #4

B600 brakes

Hi

thanks for quick reply; I do know they are hydraulic brakes, not air.

Its located in a small town 80km down an active logging road. Small village at end (yes even Canada has villages with no services- I have been in even more remote locations)

I was just hoping to take along enough parts to fix it for a test drive.

I might gamble on taking a Ford/ SAE thread collection of bits & bobs. Don't want to spend too much on pieces without being sure I am buying this bus.

It has the Cummins/allison combo, all mechanical FI, so I know that can be fixed with pliers and a screw-driver.

cheers
Ken
Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjurkic View Post
Hi

Its located in a small town 80km down an active logging road. Small village at end (yes even Canada has villages with no services- I have been in even more remote locations)

I was just hoping to take along enough parts to fix it for a test drive.

I might gamble on taking a Ford/ SAE thread collection of bits & bobs. Don't want to spend too much on pieces without being sure I am buying this bus.

It has the Cummins/allison combo, all mechanical FI, so I know that can be fixed with pliers and a screw-driver.

cheers
Ken
Oh boy. You're not buying a tree planting bus, are you? those things get heavily abused by the many inexperienced drivers who tromp them over the de-activated logging roads.

Where are you located, by the way?
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Oh boy. You're not buying a tree planting bus, are you? those things get heavily abused by the many inexperienced drivers who tromp them over the de-activated logging roads.

Where are you located, by the way?

Hi

I am in central Vancouver Island. Bus has about 250k-km on it, formerly was in a University fleet. I know the organization that has it, and I travel to that location regularly, just trying to save a couple of days and the hassle of pulling the defective lines, bringing into town and returning.

I talked to auto-parts guy and he noted Fords of that generation often had different sized connectors on the master Cylinder vs the chassis connection so the of-the-shelf brake line replacements might not work anyhow.

I posted here because there there are no B600 enthusiast forums, and the local big truck parts place had no info on B600's

cheers
Ken
Old 05-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Don't write off the fact that they might be Lucas-Girling brakes then.. They are disliked by everyone who has had to repair them. I drove around a B600 of about the same vintage as the one you're looking at and it had Lucas-Girling. One indicator of having them would be the parking brake: is the parking brake actuated with a flip-switch and are there "canisters" at the rear brake drums? If so, it probably has L-G brakes. If the parking brake is engaged by a long lever it probably has normal hydraulic brakes with a cable-actuated parking brake. If it has all-around disc brakes it will be a more conventional hydraulic system.

It seems L-G brakes are prone to leaking fluid. You will want to inspect them closely. From reading forums and the like, brake parts are becoming scarce and expensive.

Here's some reading on the subject: Ford B-700 Hyd E- Brake Question - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

This post has some diagrams: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/95...-please-2.html
This picture shows the parking brake switch I mentioned above (TW-11).

Quote:
I am in central Vancouver Island. Bus has about 250k-km on it, formerly was in a University fleet. I know the organization that has it, and I travel to that location regularly, just trying to save a couple of days and the hassle of pulling the defective lines, bringing into town and returning.
That's good. I'd imagine a university would have a proper bus driver behind the wheel for insurance reasons.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

WOW excellent pic

thanks for all that - much better prepared

cheers
Ken
Old 05-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
IMO

The Lucas-Girling brake system is superior to other hydraulic in one major way.

Just like air brakes, it has spring pots on the rear brakes. If you lose hydraulic pressure, your brakes are activated, bringing your bus to a safe stop.

All other hydraulic brake systems, if you lose your pressure, you lose your brakes going down the mountain.

Now

My haul all bus was a B700 with that brake system. It uses hydraulic hoses as brake lines for the rear parking brake pots, and regular steel brake lines for the fronts and the regular driving rear brakes. It will also have a mess of hydraulic hoses used up by the master master cylinder hanging off the firewall.

Tens of thousands of these systems are still used on the road today.

One draw back can be cost.

Your looking at $1000 to overhaul the brakes on a B700.

Same size bus (TC2000) with disk brakes on all four costs around $250.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #10

Again, thanks for all the info - I was not very successful googling B600 & brakes

If a person just had to replace the lines, whats a good estimate of costs?

K
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
If your dealing with a steel line I would buy a length of 5/16" and 3/8" and take along a tubing cutter, a tubing bender, and a double flaring tool and some good penetrating oil and you should be able to replace most any rusted out lines using the fitting from the old line. Almost forgot don't forget good quality line wrenches are necessary as well. HTH
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Again, thanks for all the info - I was not very successful googling B600 & brakes

If a person just had to replace the lines, whats a good estimate of costs?

K
Nat already mentioned it-
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
One draw back can be cost.

Your looking at $1000 to overhaul the brakes on a B700.

Same size bus (TC2000) with disk brakes on all four costs around $250.
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Cummions
B700 Brakes

After sitting for a couple years the brakes on my 1996 Ford Carpenter are shot. Ford said they don't support the parts any longer. Any idea where I can get some.
lockhaw is offline   Reply With Quote