Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I've always liked GA, but some of the rural areas are less than friendly.
Especially if you've got out of state tags.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wow georgia sucks!! I spent 3 days broke down in rural georgia at a truck stop when I got my bus!! I feel for you!!

-Christopher
The people we got the bus from are d!cks but man everyone else has been Sooo helpful, friendly, and hospitable. It is trul truly amazing.
Ally420/Akasha099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:40 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've always liked GA, but some of the rural areas are less than friendly.
Especially if you've got out of state tags.
And our minivan has cali plates and as you can guess from our handle we have an alternative lifestyle. So far things could be a lot worse.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I live in GA, but I'm 3+ hours away.
Thank you for considering it.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally420/Akasha099 View Post
The people we got the bus from are d!cks but man everyone else has been Sooo helpful, friendly, and hospitable. It is trul truly amazing.
Yeah, being in FL, I've never shopped GA for buses. They only sell em when they're BEAT in GA.
How are you guys doing?
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Keep us posted on how things are going.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Well we got help from a trucker/deisel mechanic. With his help we were able to drive the bus 8 miles at a time from hazelhurst, ga to waycross, ga where he lives. Its still over heating even after we removed the thermostat. There still is no water in the oil or coming out the tail pipe so maybe the head gasket is not blown. One of the injectors is spraying deisel and that cylinder does not get proper compression.

Anyway we have worked things out to start working on the bus here in waycross instead of Virginia. Thanks for the concern.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:38 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH
Engine: IH 9 Liter
Rated Cap: 66 + driver
Is it overheating because it's losing coolant? It has to be going somewhere if it is.

If it's not losing coolant, then that narrows things down a bit. Most common causes are (1) coolant not circulating, which could be (a) radiator stopped up internally, (b) failed or failing water pump (includes slipping or failed belt), (c) closed thermostat (which I see yours has been removed), (d) collapsed lower radiator hose (this is the "suction" one), or (2) coolant is circulating, but heat is not being removed from it, which could be (e) radiator fins stopped up with dust, dirt, leaves, something blocking air flowing through them, or (f) fan isn't drawing air through radiator.

The 5.9 Cummins engines are generally pretty good, yours is an '89 model? It should be checked at some point for the Cummins KDP issue (there's a thread on it somewhere on this forum), if by some small chance the engine has been replaced, make sure it's not a so-called 53 block casting (produced late 90's-early 2000's), these had a problem from the foundry leading to the block cracking after some age. Now if it's losing coolant, an external leak should be traceable. An internal leak will go *Somewhere*, either into the oil (which you indicate is not the case), or burned out the exhaust, usually leaving white smoke (which you also say is not the case).

Also, you say an injector is spraying diesel and the corresponding cylinder is not getting compression? Without a chance to do a proper diagnosis it makes it hard to form an accurate conclusion ... is the injector spraying fuel outside the engine? If so, it will need to be replaced (or at least find/correct the cause), and it will cause a skip, which could lead to someone thinking the engine has a dead cylinder. Has the compression in that cylinder actually been tested? (Actually, if you're going to the trouble to do one, you might as well do the rest while you're at it).

Anyway, keep us posted, and gooooood luck.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:56 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally420/Akasha099 View Post
Well we got help from a trucker/deisel mechanic. With his help we were able to drive the bus 8 miles at a time from hazelhurst, ga to waycross, ga where he lives. Its still over heating even after we removed the thermostat. There still is no water in the oil or coming out the tail pipe so maybe the head gasket is not blown. One of the injectors is spraying deisel and that cylinder does not get proper compression.

Anyway we have worked things out to start working on the bus here in waycross instead of Virginia. Thanks for the concern.
an engine needs the thermostat so the water stays in the radiator long enough to cool down. it will overheat every time without one. good luck
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote