Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
an engine needs the thermostat so the water stays in the radiator long enough to cool down. it will overheat every time without one. good luck
Not always. I had one engine (GM 350 in I-forget-what) that would never warm up over ~150 without a thermostat. Had an '85 Chevy Celebrity that wouldn't run up to 180 even with a new thermostat (replaced more than once). But it's true, *Some* vehicles can run hot w/o a thermostat.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Not always. I had one engine (GM 350 in I-forget-what) that would never warm up over ~150 without a thermostat. Had an '85 Chevy Celebrity that wouldn't run up to 180 even with a new thermostat (replaced more than once). But it's true, *Some* vehicles can run hot w/o a thermostat.
yes sir thats why you need a thermostat, so your motor reaches operating temp. once you start working that motor hard the water needs to stay in the radiator to cool off. that was all covered in my first year at miami lakes tech.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
an engine needs the thermostat so the water stays in the radiator long enough to cool down. it will overheat every time without one. good luck
The thermostat was stuck and that was part of our initial issue. No water flowing to the engine. Removing the thermostat kept it cool longer than with it stopping all flow and allowed us to get it where its at now so we could work on it. Its not the plan to leave it out permanently.
Ally420/Akasha099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Forced to sell the bus at an 80% loss. Our dream of joining the skoolie community has gone with it for now. Thank you all for you help and support while it lasted.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yeoow so what ended up being wrong? the engine was destroyed?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

No.... not exactly but guy helping us gave up and told us he thinks the head gasket was blown and possibly an issue with a cylinder since we fixed the issue with the injector and it still seemed to be loosing compression and skipping in one cylinder. We fixed the water leaks too and she ran cooler for a while but ultimately started overheating again. He through in the towel and kicked us off his property. We didn't have monetary resources at the moment to pay someone else to keep troubleshooting or to fix something as big as a head gasket. He offered to buy her for $500 "for storage". I kinda think he's going to fix her and sell her at a profit. But without and other options we took what we could and are moving on.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Damnitalltohell! That really blows. Don't give up!! There are more great deals in better shape out there!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Well for now at least we have no capital to work with to start over but we have not given up for the more distant future.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
what part of va. you from
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Spotsy/Newport News.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally420/Akasha099 View Post
No.... not exactly but guy helping us gave up and told us he thinks the head gasket was blown and possibly an issue with a cylinder since we fixed the issue with the injector and it still seemed to be loosing compression and skipping in one cylinder. We fixed the water leaks too and she ran cooler for a while but ultimately started overheating again. He through in the towel and kicked us off his property. We didn't have monetary resources at the moment to pay someone else to keep troubleshooting or to fix something as big as a head gasket. He offered to buy her for $500 "for storage". I kinda think he's going to fix her and sell her at a profit. But without and other options we took what we could and are moving on.
I just wanted to say that I'm very sorry to hear about the troubles you had. I can't say that if I was in the same position that I would not do the same as you have done.

I'd say don't give up but it sounds like you are not you just got knocked down and now getting back up and dusting of and starting over. And I'm sure you know everyone here will be here for help/support and enjoyment of the new adventure with the new bus. I wish you all the best to get back up and going.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote