Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Build sheet available?

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so it landed here. In prior posts about decoding vin online I've learned in order to find out tranny you need to contact manufacturer and supply vin. If I'm looking at a bluebird, will bluebird supply me with a build sheet if requested? Or is there some way to obtain one to find out more info on out of state bus?

I e-mailed the customer service contact on their site but haven't heard anything yet

Edit: is there a common pairing used with the c7 cat in 2005? Or anyone know what might come with it on a 12 window

jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so it landed here. In prior posts about decoding vin online I've learned in order to find out tranny you need to contact manufacturer and supply vin. If I'm looking at a bluebird, will bluebird supply me with a build sheet if requested? Or is there some way to obtain one to find out more info on out of state bus?

I e-mailed the customer service contact on their site but haven't heard anything yet

Edit: is there a common pairing used with the c7 cat in 2005? Or anyone know what might come with it on a 12 window
Build sheet for what? We don't know what you are driving. Fill in the profile by hitting user CP on upper left.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm looking to purchase one that is out of state. The ad has limited info, so I'm trying to figure out what I can from the vin until I hear back from seller. I would buy it this weekend if if the transmission and gearing is good, but vin decoder won't give me that info, so I'm trying to figure out what it might have. It's an 05 bluebird 12window with cat c7 engine

I sent en email to bluebird requesting the information on the vehicle, but haven't heard back and wasn't sure they even supply that information

a build sheet, as i know it to be called, is a list of everything equipped on a vehicle. ive gotten them for a regular passenger vehicle before
Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Was emailing blue bird the right way to go about finding the information? Is there a quicker way since I haven't gotten a response? Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #5
Traveling

Quote:
Was emailing blue bird the right way to go about finding the information? Is there a quicker way since I haven't gotten a response? Any ideas?
I'm surprised that that manufacturer hasn't gotten back to you about a used vehicle sale.

It's almost as if they know you won't be their customer again and are asking them to do free work for a prospective used vehicle sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped answering all requests for information from us 3rd party ilk.

What are you hoping the manufacturer can tell you that the seller or going to look at the bus can't tell you? go read the tags, it tells you all you need to know.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

allison 2000 would be my guess. post a pic and we can tell you.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Manufacturer would insure seller gave me correct info and it would help to avoid an out of state trip that could be unnecessary. Added peace of mind

I was told by members on the forum in other posts to contact manufacturer to get that information, so that's what I did. Your reply seems to say im dumb for thinking they would do that but I'm just doing what people here recommended me to
Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Manufacturer would insure seller gave me correct info and it would help to avoid an out of state trip that could be unnecessary. Added peace of mind

I was told by members on the forum in other posts to contact manufacturer to get that information, so that's what I did. Your reply seems to say im dumb for thinking they would do that but I'm just doing what people here recommended me to
Dude- what did I say to you that would in any way be calling you dumb?
You asked a question, I gave you my best answer.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dude- what did I say to you that would in any way be calling you dumb?
You asked a question, I gave you my best answer.
Your post wasn't there when I typed reply, rustys semi sarcastic post about manufacturer not helping is what o referred to. I figured they would help since people have told me the manufacturer will give you that info
Old 01-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Bus Nut

If i did it right, I attached a picture of the bus. I haven't gotten any more pictures other than exterior
Attached Thumbnails
20180119_081225.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 08:27 AM   #11
Traveling

Quote:
Your post wasn't there when I typed reply, rustys semi sarcastic post about manufacturer not helping is what o referred to. I figured they would help since people have told me the manufacturer will give you that info
Common sense would tell you that if you are looking at 6 different buses in several states, contacting the 3 different manufacturers and requesting them to dig in old, non-digital archives to fulfill your several documentation requests is excessive.

Now, multiply the extra work you created times the number of people on the Board. See how that places an undue burden on the manufacturer?

If you actually buy the bus and need documentation, that is different. They will currently help with those requests, until they are overloaded with frivolous demands.

Building a Skoolie will present you with quite a few new obstacles and learning experiences. It is a growth experience.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Common sense says they wouldn't help me this, I agree, but I tried based of other users reccomendations, assuming they had luck with it. I'll be making more calls today to get the information i need from seller, and if blue bird emails me back ill consider it pure luck and just try and get most info I can before making the trip to see it.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Some will, some won't. Thomas Built have answered all my questions so far, even sending stuff I hadn't asked for.

I bet it depends a lot on whoever gets the request and how busy they are that day.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Sold within 24 hours, I was a couple hours late. Had wrong phone number on one ad, and finally found correct one too late. Search continues. Guy from Delaware bought both his busses, flying in tomorrow
https://clovis.craigslist.org/cto/d/...463647817.html

Told him the guy falls through I'll drive the 400 miles tomorrow to check it out
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sold within 24 hours, I was a couple hours late. Had wrong phone number on one ad, and finally found correct one too late. Search continues. Guy from Delaware bought both his busses, flying in tomorrow
https://clovis.craigslist.org/cto/d/...463647817.html

Told him the guy falls through I'll drive the 400 miles tomorrow to check it out
Narrow escape then.

CAT engines are great engines even though their shortcomings are highlighted here quite often.

That said, the C7 is not great, and the ACERT is positively bad news. So bad that CAT left the school bus market.

It's all about the emissions gear, not the engine, but that stuff can be horribly expensive to replace. Even on a passenger car, the diesel particulate filters can cost over $3000 if they go bad (and with limited running a la school bus, they go bad).

I wouldn't let a CAT engine break a deal, but I would walk away from a C7, and run away from an ACERT.

Build Thread
Old 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That said, the C7 is not great, and the ACERT is positively bad news. So bad that CAT left the school bus market.
i was unaware of this. hadnt come across that information, good to know

Quote:
I wouldn't let a CAT engine break a deal, but I would walk away from a C7, and run away from an ACERT.
this is the information i was basing my decision off of from the research i had done.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Narrow escape then.

CAT engines are great engines even though their shortcomings are highlighted here quite often.

It's all about the emissions gear, not the engine, but that stuff can be horribly expensive to replace. Even on a passenger car, the diesel particulate filters can cost over $3000 if they go bad (and with limited running a la school bus, they go bad).

C7 is best avoided.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
C7 is best avoided.
ill be following this advice from now on. put he posted it as best offer, first 2 words on the listing, so cash in front of him this would have been a great buy to flip
Old 01-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
i was unaware of this. hadnt come across that information, good to know

this is the information i was basing my decision off of from the research i had done.
Most folk who have the mechanical or regular electronic CAT engines are very happy with them. The problems started with the C7, then got worse.

The issue people here have with CAT is that they are parent-bore engines and if they need an overhaul they have to come out of the bus to be rebored. Also, CAT prices are strictly controlled and can be expensive.

When the CAT is rebored, it can be fitted with liners.

Build Thread
Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
ill be following this advice from now on. put he posted it as best offer, first 2 words on the listing, so cash in front of him this would have been a great buy to flip
Unless ANYTHING went wrong with it.