Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
CCRT Diesel particulate filter on a 2000

I saw an auction bus that was listed as a 2000 with a 5.9 cummings, and that it had a CCRT Diesel particulate filter installed (specifically called out).

I thought at least federally that particulate filters weren't required that early. (this one was in Oregon).

So is this an aftermarket add on kind of particulate filter? Or is it tied into the ECU like alot of the modern ones are (I believe that the regen cycle causes the engine to run rich to raise exhaust temp and burn out the particulate).

I'm thinking if a previous owner had added a catalytic converter to a classic car and it wasn't required, you could legally remove it, and the car wouldn't care. With some of these systems, they weren't required at the time so I would assume they could be removed, but if its tied into the ECU I imagine it would throw an error or would simply run the regen cycle occasionally and freak me out because exhaust temp would rise.

Anyway, thought I would check with the group to see if anyone had run across these before. Should they just be treated the same as a 2004+ bus that has extra emissions gear, and just realize if you buy it, you are going to have to live with it?

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I saw an auction bus that was listed as a 2000 with a 5.9 cummings, and that it had a CCRT Diesel particulate filter installed (specifically called out).

I thought at least federally that particulate filters weren't required that early. (this one was in Oregon).

So is this an aftermarket add on kind of particulate filter? Or is it tied into the ECU like alot of the modern ones are (I believe that the regen cycle causes the engine to run rich to raise exhaust temp and burn out the particulate).

I'm thinking if a previous owner had added a catalytic converter to a classic car and it wasn't required, you could legally remove it, and the car wouldn't care. With some of these systems, they weren't required at the time so I would assume they could be removed, but if its tied into the ECU I imagine it would throw an error or would simply run the regen cycle occasionally and freak me out because exhaust temp would rise.

Anyway, thought I would check with the group to see if anyone had run across these before. Should they just be treated the same as a 2004+ bus that has extra emissions gear, and just realize if you buy it, you are going to have to live with it?
California retro-fitted a lot of buses with DPFs, to continue to use them. They couldn't do it with the mechanical engines, but they can with some ECUs.

It might be possible to delete it, but I don't know what other changes need to be made. If the filter is working as it should, it ought to be more reliable than they are in school bus service. Replacing them is horribly expensive.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
You can take it off, school bus operators got federal subsidies to put those on, not hooked to the ECU
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote