Old 05-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Check Trans Light, Engine Won't Start

I have a 40' 2002 Thomas bus with a 5.9 Cummins Engine and an Allison transmission. I have a problem with the transmission right now. The problem is this: I drove the bus all around and it was great, for hundreds of miles. I parked it to begin my conversion and a couple weeks later I go to start it and a red "Check Trans" light comes on the dash, and the engine won't turn or start. If I turn the key, nothing happens. I do nothing about it for two weeks or so, then I turn the key one day and the engine starts and the light disappears. I drive it around for a couple of miles, then park it again. A week later, I turn the key again and the same check trans light comes on and the engine won't start.

I spoke to a mechanic the first time it acted up on me, and he thought that (maybe) the transmission computer was telling the engine computer that it wasn't in neutral. FYI, the electric display always shows up as "N" when I turn it on, indicating it is, in fact, in neutral. The mechanic suggested disconnecting the batteries for 15 minutes, then reconnecting them. He thought this might reset the computer. I did that, but it didn't do anything at the time.

Any other ideas? I've searched the forums but couldn't find anything. I remember seeing a post a while back about some magical combination of "N" and "D" button pushes that might reset it? Thanks a lot for your help guys!
WWOOFTOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If I were in your shoes, I would try and find someone with the ability to read the fault codes from your Allison. This should give you a definitive answer as to what the computer "thinks" the problem is.

I have heard that the software to read the codes can be found for free. It will require the appropriate interface cable.

Maybe CaddilacKid will chime in here. He is very knowledgeable in this area.

Good Luck!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
That trans computer needs good clean battery access- I bet you are forgetting to add that little mystery pigtail in battery box sometimes when you swap batteries/connections around?

2 strong batteries required.

Check trans light is idiot light that comes-on as test when key is inserted, but when bus is running, goes off.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im not familiar enough with the allison MD3060 (which it sounds like he has).. to know if that would lock out the starter.. a bad ground wire somewhere can definitely turn on wack-O lights and hold up things..

the NEXIQ USBLINK device can read the J1708 / J1939 data from the computer.. but im not sure if the CUmmins software is free.. I know Navistar gives away their software.

a scanGauge D can read out the straight codes (it costs a lot less than the nexiq device)..

does your bus have the freightliner Dash on it with the LCD display? its possible you may be able to read the codes from it.

I saw this document on line.. im more a navistar guy so these may not help.

http://www.carolinathomas.com/wp-con...mas-Bus-70.pdf

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have the MD3060 and while I have not experienced it first hand I have read in the drivers manual that transmission faults can prevent starting the bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have the MD3060 and while I have not experienced it first hand I have read in the drivers manual that transmission faults can prevent starting the bus.
Any info that can help me ?
Ontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have a Allison transmission md3060 check trans light is on. Won't turn over. Clicking a few times can be heard behind engine.
Ontour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, check trans, transmission, transmission computer