Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444E Diesel, Allison 545 Transmission
Compressor Problem HELP

Hey everyone!
I'm in a little bit of a tif! I hadn't seen my skoolie since March (I live in the UK and it's in Miami) and when I got back I found it with the battery stolen. Got new batteries, bus starts first go and we took it for a 5 min spin and as soon as we stopped all the air came out and now it wont fill itself back up at all!
We checked there was current passing through to the compressor and all is good and everything was fine on the drive.

I now can't move it as its like the breaks are on and the alarm keeps on going.

What could it be? It's a Thomas Vista 3600 from 1997 that has been driven for no more than 20 miles in the passed 8 months.

Thanks!!!!

annvp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
What do you mean by current passing thru the compressor? It's all mechanical. Do you have any air in the system? Is it all lost like a leak? The governor may be stuck. Give it a lite whack, see if it starts working.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the Reply!
There is no air at all! Oh I meant we checked that all electrics worked to make sure that when they stoll the batteries they didn't pull something out as the compressor is behing the batteries.

My friend walked around with a hammer(not super hard) and nothing
Old 06-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Once you lose air pressure in the brakes the mechanical spring emergency brake engages and you won't be able to move the bus without releasing the e brake to move it a short distance.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like you sprung a leak that should be very easy to find. If you can't build pressure at all you've got 7+ cfm of air blowing out of somewhere.Your brakes won't work until you correct it, don't get any big ideas about driving your bus with no brakes!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all!

The bus is literally 20 meters from where it needs to be parked. And I leave back for the UK on Wednesday!

Is there any quick fix just to get it there? Maybe get a small portable compressor or something!

I can't even get it towed as it wont move!!!
Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by annvp89 View Post
Thank you all!

The bus is literally 20 meters from where it needs to be parked. And I leave back for the UK on Wednesday!

Is there any quick fix just to get it there? Maybe get a small portable compressor or something!

I can't even get it towed as it wont move!!!

any reputable tow company could move it, they cage the brakes and it will move (but wont stop!).. when you start the bus you dont hear hissing from underneath?
or under the hood near the compressor?
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

No hissing sound at all!
How much do you reckon it would cost to tow it? I'm in miami!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
No idea on a tow . Recently in Columbus Ohio I blew a trans in one of my busses and the tow was $300 back to my storage unit..

In your rccase there’s likely 2 culprits. The governor stuck or the unloader valve stuckZ the governor is a little device hanging off of the top rear of the compressor with usually 2 small airlines going to it. There’s springs inside it to turn the compressor off and on. They can stick. I’ve freed them before by hitting that device with a hammer. Then of course replaced when I knew it was the issue. There’s a cap on it and an adjustment nut underneath. While I don’t recommend adjusting the pressures ever, I freed one once by turning that nut in one turn then back out one turn.

The unloader is inside the head of the compressor, sometimes tapping on the head near the air intake hose clears it if it’s stuck. You can also unscrew the large copper line on the compressor, start the bus and feel for air coming from the compressor head. That will tell you if the compressor is pumping and you have a blown line somewhere.
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Releasing the E brake for Emergency move.

https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...rake-subsystem
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Another culprit is the air dryer the pop off can stick open and vent all the air! lets establish if it will make air go to auto parts buy a cheap rubber tip compression tester remove the main large copper or braided line from the outlet port on the compressor. Crank the bus and hold the tip hard in the port. It should make at least 90 lbs( probably more in a few seconds. If it does you've got a major air leak elsewhere. If it doesn't check the the unloaded in the head you can tap on the head near the governor( aluminum colored about 3" with a rubber cap or just a screw and nut usually with a small hose attached to the unloaded port on the head) the copper lines are prone to break and due to their physical size, usuall don't hiss.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote