Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a whole lotta smokin goin on in this day and age of consumers goin g out and buying programmers on amazon, dialing up 150 extra HP and then flooring it in front of as camera..

Back in the day when it actually took work to add HP. or in many cases on Medium duty stuff nowadays, people actually paid attention to the limitations of the Metal...

I love all the Youtube videos of busted up Duramaxxes and Powerstrokes where kids just plugged in a programmer and rolled coal...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #42
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
theres a whole lotta smokin goin on in this day and age of consumers goin g out and buying programmers on amazon, dialing up 150 extra HP and then flooring it in front of as camera..

Back in the day when it actually took work to add HP. or in many cases on Medium duty stuff nowadays, people actually paid attention to the limitations of the Metal...

I love all the Youtube videos of busted up Duramaxxes and Powerstrokes where kids just plugged in a programmer and rolled coal...

-Christopher

I am a youtube junkie. I too have the greatest time watching "fail" videos.

But ya, those were the days when one had to literally hunt for someone to work over the injectors and build the piping to adapt a turbo off of a larger engine and hope it worked out.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #43
Bus Geek

AND actually understand what things do... just like the posts here about "what if i put on a bigger turbo will my bus haul ass?" or "I re-geared now my bus is still slow"..

not understanding what those items actually do and how to use them.. education is key with any of this.

sure there is some part experimentation.. and in the medium duty world its not done often so reprogramming school bus ECMs becomes a bit more VooDoo than consumer.. simply because a lot of it is uncharted.. as is things like this thread building custom rigs..

I love seeing stuff like this though as it gives future readers places to start and often refine the ideas begun..

custom rigs are fun...
Old 11-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #44
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
AND actually understand what things do... just like the posts here about "what if i put on a bigger turbo will my bus haul ass?" or "I re-geared now my bus is still slow"..

not understanding what those items actually do and how to use them.. education is key with any of this.

sure there is some part experimentation.. and in the medium duty world its not done often so reprogramming school bus ECMs becomes a bit more VooDoo than consumer.. simply because a lot of it is uncharted.. as is things like this thread building custom rigs..

I love seeing stuff like this though as it gives future readers places to start and often refine the ideas begun..

custom rigs are fun...

Yep. Even those that understand do a lot of experimenting. That's how they come to "understand" what they do.

I fabricate and work with hydraulics way more than mechanical. But you are right, custom rigs are awesome to not only learn from, but further the creativity that now days we so desperately need.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #45
Almost There

Yeah I like customizing my stuff. Just spent an hour trying to upload some pics, I hate photobucket. Are you guys familiar with the gambler 500?
NWOleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:29 PM   #46
Bus Geek

photobucket got banned here on this forum a couple years ago..

im familiar with the gambler concept.. i think there are more than one across the country..
-Christopher
Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #47
Almost There

I didn't know pb was banned. Was gonna post a pic of my rear engines 70 coupe deville. Anyways the point is I'm not afraid to try something different i guess. As long as it has a decent chance of working. I'm gonna crawl under my bus this weekend and find out exactly what I got and then get specs on it. Do my homework so to speak.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Yeah PB went from free to pay service and people that didn’t pay all the pics in their threads died making a crappy experience here so the admins banned PB links.
You can attach photos directly to posts either on the website or with Tapatalk phone app
Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #49
Almost There

So maybe I already have the 643, it has a sensor threaded into the side of the tranny pan but there is a mounting bracket over the hole in the side of the case so still not hundred percent on my trans.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #50
Bus Geek

the 643 and later 545s share the same deep pan... the sensor is for the temperature on the dash. a 643 is a real beefy looking piece of equipment.

here is a pic of an MT643 I swapped into one of my busses this fall.. on the left.. on the right is the old AT545 I took out..

Click image for larger version

Name:	mt643.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	27827

-Christopher
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #51
Almost There

Can you post any more pics of those transmissions Cadillac kid? Thank you
Old 12-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #52
Bus Geek

unfortunately not easily.. the 545 i can because its still in my garage.. but the 643 is up inside the bus. . i can get you pics of it installed in a bus..
-Christopher
Old 12-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #53
Almost There

Well pics of the 545 would help, thanks
Old 08-24-2020, 12:49 AM   #54
Mini-Skoolie

Any update on this? I was considering doing the same thing.

If this was done, what was the mating process like?
OneOfHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
For me a 4x4 or 6x6 bus conversion is mainly a conversation piece. Useful on road with snow and in soft grass. A bus does not have the articulation required for any off roading. Nor does the bus shell have the structural integrity to take on the flex and twist. Also the turn radius of such a vehicle is not adequate for any tight places.
A cool project nevertheless.

We are building to 4x4 bus conversions. A dana 60 front axle under an econoline. Driving into our camp on a power line road in fall even this 4x4 conversion gets us stuck in the muddy ruts. Hence the winch.

The other one is a unimog 404 that will get a small bus aluminum shell. This would fall more in expedition vehicle.. Not much land in the USA where you would actually need something like this to go where you want to go but it is fun to design and build.
Attached Thumbnails
Unimog bus conversion 20200806 demo.jpg   IMG_20200819_151947_308.jpg  
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote