Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Correct fluids for Crown Bus.

Looking to change/fill the fluids on my 1990 Crown Supercoach and have the following questions.

1. Correct ATF for Allison MT647
2. Correct oil (straight 40?) for DD6-71TA
3. Coolant
4. Rear end gear oil
5. Any other fluids not mentioned.

GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey GW,

Your DD two stroke is very particular about the motor oil you feed it.

Low ash content straight 40 weight. The "standard" for years was Delo 100 - 40 weight. NOT Delo 400!!!!

Here is a site with some good info:Tejas Coach Works Factory DDC Oil Information Data Page
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The perennial subject of which oil for a 2-stroke Detroit has been discussed at great length here and on other forums. Essentially, if it doesn't say CF-2*, don't use it. Straight 40-weight is needed for normal conditions, but straight 30-weight can be used for sub-freezing conditions and straight 50-weight can be used for very hot conditions. Whatever you use, it must be a straight-weight oil - multigrades are a big no-no in 2-strokes. Try to find the "Detroit Lubricating Oil, Fuel & Filters" manual online and print it out, along with the "MTU Lubricants For Two-Cycle Engines" manual. Tejas has good info on this subject as well. I'm presently using ConocoPhillips 76 T5X, but I've topped it up with some Delo 100; Luvrbus on the BCM forum says that Delvac 1240 lowers oil consumption compared to Delo 100, so that's another good one to use if you can find it.

My HT740 uses Dexron, so I guess your MT will also use it.

Coolant for dry-sleeve engines such as the 71-series is less critical than for wet-sleeve engines like mine, but must still meet Detroit's requirements. I suggest you start googling for the "Detroit Coolant Selections" manual and print it out for future reference.

My Rockwell axle's service manual says that 85W/140 GL5 gear oil is needed, and I also use it for the front hubs' bearings.

Try to find the "Detroit 53, 71 and 92 Series Operator's Guide" - it has lots of useful info in it.

John

* Yes, I know that CF-2 is now obsolete, but so are 2-stroke Detroits! Suitable oils still say CF-2 on them, and that's what you need to know when choosing them. O'Reilly can order Delo 100, but it's cheaper to have your local distributor get larger sizes of it or whatever you want. Just don't buy it at marine suppliers!
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Make sure and carry a few gallons with you.

There is a reason they call them "Green Leakers".
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey GW,

Your DD two stroke is very particular about the motor oil you feed it.

Low ash content straight 40 weight. The "standard" for years was Delo 100 - 40 weight. NOT Delo 400!!!!

Here is a site with some good info:Tejas Coach Works Factory DDC Oil Information Data Page
I was not able to speak with the School District Mechanic to determine what they were using. This is very good information. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
The perennial subject of which oil for a 2-stroke Detroit has been discussed at great length here and on other forums. Essentially, if it doesn't say CF-2*, don't use it. Straight 40-weight is needed for normal conditions, but straight 30-weight can be used for sub-freezing conditions and straight 50-weight can be used for very hot conditions. Whatever you use, it must be a straight-weight oil - multigrades are a big no-no in 2-strokes. Try to find the "Detroit Lubricating Oil, Fuel & Filters" manual online and print it out, along with the "MTU Lubricants For Two-Cycle Engines" manual. Tejas has good info on this subject as well. I'm presently using ConocoPhillips 76 T5X, but I've topped it up with some Delo 100; Luvrbus on the BCM forum says that Delvac 1240 lowers oil consumption compared to Delo 100, so that's another good one to use if you can find it.

My HT740 uses Dexron, so I guess your MT will also use it.

Coolant for dry-sleeve engines such as the 71-series is less critical than for wet-sleeve engines like mine, but must still meet Detroit's requirements. I suggest you start googling for the "Detroit Coolant Selections" manual and print it out for future reference.

My Rockwell axle's service manual says that 85W/140 GL5 gear oil is needed, and I also use it for the front hubs' bearings.

Try to find the "Detroit 53, 71 and 92 Series Operator's Guide" - it has lots of useful info in it.

John

* Yes, I know that CF-2 is now obsolete, but so are 2-stroke Detroits! Suitable oils still say CF-2 on them, and that's what you need to know when choosing them. O'Reilly can order Delo 100, but it's cheaper to have your local distributor get larger sizes of it or whatever you want. Just don't buy it at marine suppliers!
Also great information and much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Make sure and carry a few gallons with you.

There is a reason they call them "Green Leakers".

Something must be wrong with mine since it is not leaking (yet)…lol
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
Have you started it yet?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
It has to have oil in it to leak

No seriously, the joke was the only time a detroit doesn't leak is when it's out of oil.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Have you started it yet?

Actually, it has been started several times after we drove it back from CA. A trip to KHP for VIN inspection. A trip to have it washed etc. Oil shows full.

Also, looking at the Tejas link you provided, it states the following below. The way it is written makes it appear this happened prior to 1990 but not for 1990?

*** From Tejas Site ***
"There are more than one stories about bus engines and the fact that they leak. The biggest factor is the 2 cycle Detroit engine that powers the majority of all buses that were manufactured prior to 1990."
Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
It has to have oil in it to leak

No seriously, the joke was the only time a detroit doesn't leak is when it's out of oil.

Oil is full. It could be because the engine has approx. 66K on rebuild. Eventually, it will leak.