Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Dashboard stopped working temporarily

I was driving today and I was almost back to my lot when I noticed that the dashboard had frozen - none of the gauges were moving at all. This lasted for maybe five minutes, until during parking I put the bus in R and that seemed to get the gauges working again.

Are briefly frozen dashboards a thing with Internationals?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Do you ever notice it flickering?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Sounds like a dash pull and some quality time spent with a soldering iron lie in your immediate future!
(The fortune cookie also sez your lottery numbers are 7,
39, &
Avagadro's number)
Good luck! [emoji106]
Old 07-30-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Very common problem with International clusters. My temp gauge totally failed so I added an aftermarket gauge. Usually loose solder points. Do a search on youtube on the international gauge clusters and find your fix.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Almost without a doubt your bus has a multiplex wiring system. For the most part that is just fine--even great. I think multiplex is the bee's knees--except when you have to diagnose problems without the aid of a dealer level computer diagnostic system. Back to the issue at hand. IH has used multiplexed electrical systems for years now and has most of the bugs worked out. Two of their lingering problem seem to be (accordiong to a friend and owner of a large tow fleet of IH's ranging from '03-'19) that the cluster often freezes up and the left front parking lamp illuminates on it's own schedule???? Apparently shutting down the engine and re-starting it seems to clear the cluster bug for a while but has no effect on the lamp. Apparently the IH dealer has tried to solve these issues repeatedly but to no avail. My friend says his trucks seem to keep plugging along despite these quirks. Ymmv--but I hope not!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
his bus isnt full multiplex. bit the dash cluster is a communicating cluster..

the 5 main gauges.. MPH,RPM,TEMP,OIL,VOLTS are on the J1708 datalink.. if that link intrerrupts, the gauges dont go to zero they simply freeze where they were when the datalink went down..

like hazmatt said some intimate time with a soldering iron to resolder the loose connectors... usually fixes them for a couple years... i did bopth mine about 2 and a half years ago and they are starting to act up again...

on a good note, the fuel gauge, air pressure gauges, ammeter(if equipped), and trans temp(if equipped) will still usually work, they are on their own senders.. or mechanical in the case of the air gauges..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
his bus isnt full multiplex. bit the dash cluster is a communicating cluster..

the 5 main gauges.. MPH,RPM,TEMP,OIL,VOLTS are on the J1708 datalink.. if that link intrerrupts, the gauges dont go to zero they simply freeze where they were when the datalink went down..

like hazmatt said some intimate time with a soldering iron to resolder the loose connectors... usually fixes them for a couple years... i did bopth mine about 2 and a half years ago and they are starting to act up again...

on a good note, the fuel gauge, air pressure gauges, ammeter(if equipped), and trans temp(if equipped) will still usually work, they are on their own senders.. or mechanical in the case of the air gauges..

-Christopher
'

Huh. we're having an intermittent gauge problem where everything goes to zero (except the mechanical air pressure). So far it always comes back to normal within several minutes. I'd happily resolder if I was certain what to resolder. I assume it's a matter of heating the existing solder up enough for it to reflow or bridge any small cracks? I'm watching the coolant temp like a hawk since our overheating. And adding a trans temp gauge would be helpful if I could figure out how to do it
Old 07-31-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
drew - depends on the cluster you have if your engine is mechanical then any electric gauges will go to 0 on that model cluster when they lose contact with their sender or the panel loses power.

you can tell whether you have a communicating cluster on an 'E' engine by the oil pressure and temp gauges..

the oil pressure on a non-comm cluster is a near full circle sweep, vs a standard 90 degree sweep.. (it will also likely have an oil hose going to it)..

the temp gauge on a non comm cluster only goes to 230 max
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Christopher, it's a non comm cluster.....hadn't thought about the difference between mech. and E engine. It's not a real problem yet...it always comes back online eventually. Just makes me nervous not knowing the temp. Speed and fuel aren't an issue (I can use gps for speed and odometer for fuel). I'd love to be able to add auxiliary engine temp and trans temp gauges just for redundancy and peace of mind. Not sure I have the know-how without some sort of tutorial.