Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
For greasing buses I've had great luck with my pneumatic Harbor Freight grease gun. Makes it into a 15 minute job.
That's the one I plan to purchase, I found a place that would grease my bus, with such short time since we are going on a trip to Tennessee, I had them do it, this way I could watch in person and take note of all fittings. They did it for 45 bucks and that also included topping off oil on the rear it as it was a little low.

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Grimm View Post
Might I also suggest...
You can get rubber ZERK covers for your fittings. They simply slip on over the fitting, and it's easy to flip them aside when greasing the bus.
They do a fabulous job of keeping the fittings clean and crap OUT, and only for a few bucks.

Such as these...
https://www.amazon.com/Ohaha-180pcs-...27879812&psc=1

I also recommend you get a LOCKING zerk connection for the end of your grease gun hose, it will make it certain to get the grease IN the joint, not ON it...
Awesome! thank you for including a link, I have saved it and plan on buying these when I get back from our trip!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #23
Skoolie

I thought this was a good write up on getting an old Detroit Diesel rebuilt.

Might be helpful?
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #24
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennonne View Post
I just read the article, that is amazing, our crown bus has a partial rebuild, they had cracked the heads and it was fixed by a detroit mechanic in riverside california. This article looks amazing and they are blessed to have a bus with a rear engine bay. Our crown is amazing but having that engine under the bus is a little scary, I have heard it is extremely difficult to remove and re assemble an engine because of it, any crown experts willing to weigh in on this?