Old 07-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
DET 6-71 St. Louis Mechanic/Shop

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if there is any shop or mechanic in the STL area that any of you can recommend. I am in the process of converting our 1978 Crown Bus which has a Detroit 6-71. I need to change the oil soon and I also need to lube the bus up (grease all zerk fittings etc, specifically the fan bearing as I was told this one usually is hard to spot and is neglected often) I have been told to try to stay away from RV repair places since our bus is more like a truck or highway coach and that I should try to find shops or mechanics with experience with these vehicles and 2-stroke diesels. If there is any shop or anyone that can recommend me to one in the STL area or midwest please I would really appreciate it.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
The only experience I have with diesel mechanics in St Louis was poor. For the kind of work you're looking to do, I'd call a truck stop/travel center with a garage, or just do it myself. The consistently bad shop experiences I've had push me towards buying new tools and learning new things instead of relying on a "professional".
Old 07-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
The only experience I have with diesel mechanics in St Louis was poor. For the kind of work you're looking to do, I'd call a truck stop/travel center with a garage, or just do it myself. The consistently bad shop experiences I've had push me towards buying new tools and learning new things instead of relying on a "professional".
So you recommend the truck stop with garage would be suitable for greasing up our bus and maybe even doing the oil change?
Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I believe you will get a better result than if you went to a generic auto shop, or even a diesel speciality shop. The last place I went had a yard full of school buses and couldn't diagnose a bad glow temperature sensor on a "hard to start when warm" truck.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Hit truck center that does detroit diesels.....

Or any truck center, should do a lube and oil change.... If you do this at a truck stop, they do it faster... cause at the truck stops that is all they do pretty much.

check the prices online so you know what to expect. Think there is a truck stop that does this sort of thing on the east side of river by the race track.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Or any truck center, should do a lube and oil change.... If you do this at a truck stop, they do it faster... cause at the truck stops that is all they do pretty much.

check the prices online so you know what to expect. Think there is a truck stop that does this sort of thing on the east side of river by the race track.

william
Great thanks for this info this gives me a little peace of mind, do you by any chance have the name of that truck stop?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
So you recommend the truck stop with garage would be suitable for greasing up our bus and maybe even doing the oil change?
Any truck shop should be able to handle it.
Or just do it yourself. Its not any harder than changing the oil on a pickup truck. Just bigger.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
truck stop

do a google search for truck stops... you should see a loves truckers stop...

find a loves nearest you that does the oil change lube service... and make sure you know how to lube fan...

I have installed a remote line to grease points... you can stand in one place and grease damn near a whole truck... problem is the first time you do it... takes a lot of grease to fill those empty lines, used a whole case the first time.

Rolls royce at one time there was a button you could push,,, it greased the chassis.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
+1 for Loves.. I broke an idler last fall. and they were cool.. worked together with me to find the parts and get them on...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Another vote for Loves. They have been very helpful with issues I had on the road and they make their living with tires and lube services.

Just talk to the shop manager about the correct oil for your engine (low ash content like Delo 100) and ask whether they can get it or you should bring your own.

As far as the specific maintenance of a DD 6-71 is concerned, try to learn doing it yourself. Get the few special tools on ebay and have an old-school DD mechanic look over your shoulder the first time you do it. It is not rocket science and I find it very rewarding when the engine purrs like a kitten as a result of me doing more than writing a check.
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote