Old 04-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these older units are 4 speed only..

the allison 2000 series can be programmed as a 5 or a 6 speed transmission.. they are computer controlled.. there is one 6 speed controller I know of on the market.. the controller itself is $1600.. you would then (non electronic engines) need to fashion up some sort of TPS so that the trans knows your throttle position... (electronic engines can provide a feed for this from the PCM)... you will have $2000+ in a good reman allison 2000 series...

im not sure what it takes to bolt it up to your engine and bus.. some engines have a bolt pattern that will match.. others require an adapter plate or a different bell..

I figure I'll drive my bus on the AT545 for awhile and then determine if I want to take on a swap of this magnitude..

electronics-wise these transmissions are fairly easy to control.. so for me I could likely build my own controller for it and save that cost. (electromechanicals and software are my specialty)... mechanically I dont have access to the heavy tools and lifts required to move truck-size transmissions around..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
This is my first automatic on a bus and it seems terribly mushy. It shifts smoothly, which from what I hear is very unusual. I get down the highway just fine, but I'll be pulling 35 mph on most long hills. Down to 25 in the mountains. I'm told I'll get used to it. I plan on driving my 545 for as long as possible, and in the mean time I'll be looking for a better transmission as a replacement. In the event of transplant, such as breakdown on the road, I'd hope the controller would come from the same donor vehicle as the transmission but that could only happen if it was the same engine with the better trans, without all the recoding and stuff.
It's so much easier to just get a better bus. I need automatic chains and air conditioning.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Well since we're talking transmission's I have a Allison 647, what can you tell me about that & is there any upgrades / improvement's to it???

A MT643 on steroids.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Bingo, the 5 or 6 speed would be the way to go. Is that possible in the older mechanical (non computer) transmissions?

GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with
shipping container. GL will provide loading. - See more at: GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with shipping container. GL will provide loading. - Government Liquidation

Long since sold; Just and example
GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with shipping container. GL will provide loading. - See more at: GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with shipping container. GL will provide loading. - Government Liquidation
Quantity in Lot: 1 (View Details)
Auction Type: Internet Auction
Open Time: 08/20/2013 12:00AM Eastern Time
Close Time: 08/22/2013 05:11PM Eastern Time
Time Left: This lot is closed.
Item Location: Jacksonville, FL US
Opening Bid: $25.00
Current Bid: $666.00 - See more at: GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with shipping container. GL will provide loading. - Government Liquidation

shipping container. GL will provide loading. - See more at: GM Allison transmission model AT1545, with shipping container. GL will provide loading. - Government Liquidation
Photo not available.

Those are the same lot number=same transmission. Besides, they have the mark of the beast.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 04-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I'm thinking crazycal has one. Somebody started a thread about it a while ago. Cal, was that you?

That's me. I have two in the crate. One definitely rebuilt. The second, I'm not sure. I've been too lazy to climb under the bus and trade measurements.

You Gotta Let Me Fly