Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
DT466E Cylinder and Radiator question

I just bought a 1999 International 3800 DT466E on eBay and the seller says the bus has the following mechanical issues:

1. Needs new o-rings on the cylinders (not sure which/how many)
2. Blows white smoke when starting
3. Engine overheats unless the radiator cap is off and filled with water (may need replacement?)

Otherwise it runs fine and the lights and switches all work.

Do any diesel mechanics know what could be wrong with the radiator, and how much these jobs should cost?

Also, if any mechanics in the Daytona area can do the work let me know.

blissout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
If you're going to the effort to pull the cylinder head, pistons and rods, and then pulling the liners out you might as well go ahead and replace all of the liner o-rings. How many miles or hours are on the engine? As far as it overheating that could be related to coolant getting in to the engine oil. And.... if it has been doing that for an extended period of time you could need an extensive engine overhaul. Hopefully the amount of coolant in the oil hasn't done that much damage.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensch26 View Post
If you're going to the effort to pull the cylinder head, pistons and rods, and then pulling the liners out you might as well go ahead and replace all of the liner o-rings. How many miles or hours are on the engine? As far as it overheating that could be related to coolant getting in to the engine oil. And.... if it has been doing that for an extended period of time you could need an extensive engine overhaul. Hopefully the amount of coolant in the oil hasn't done that much damage.
It has 275,837 miles.

Your diagnosis kinda sounds like a rebuild. Is it really that bad? The seller swears it runs fine as long as you keep water in the radiator.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
It has 275,837 miles.

Your diagnosis kinda sounds like a rebuild. Is it really that bad? The seller swears it runs fine as long as you keep water in the radiator.
Never believe all a seller says, after all he's trying to make money off you buying his junk. Did you just buy this on eBay from Fla?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Never believe all a seller says, after all he's trying to make money off you buying his junk. Did you just buy this on eBay from Fla?
Yep, that's me!

I'm not afraid of undertaking a rebuild because I have the time. But I'm just trying to figure out how much it will cost and if it's worth it.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissout View Post
I just bought a 1999 International 3800 DT466E on eBay and the seller says the bus has the following mechanical issues:

1. Needs new o-rings on the cylinders (not sure which/how many)
2. Blows white smoke when starting
3. Engine overheats unless the radiator cap is off and filled with water (may need replacement?)

Otherwise it runs fine and the lights and switches all work.

Do any diesel mechanics know what could be wrong with the radiator, and how much these jobs should cost?

Also, if any mechanics in the Daytona area can do the work let me know.
The o-rings on the cylinders are kind of a big deal man. I'd pass, unless you've already picked it up. If you're not a mechanic or can't do that work yourself it will be thousands.
These engines can get eaten from the inside out by the coolant.
The actual o-ring seals are terribly expensive but with that many miles it would be a waste not to in-frame rebuild the engine all the way. You have to remove the pistons and cylinders to get the seals replaced.

The radiator cap thing sounds like its probably more serious or the seller would have already put a new $10 cap on it.
I'd rather take the bad feedback and bail than sink 5 grand or MUCH more into an old bus that's been neglected. this bus sounds like it has lots of symptoms and signs its going to need a TON of work and parts. Even if you are an ace at engine building and have all the special tools you're looking at thousands in parts.
If you already took possession- I've been there and I feel your pain. I ended up selling the bus to a rich guy. Got a bus 5x nicer for less than half what I paid for the problematic bus.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Also, with that many miles you're due for injectors at any moment assuming they are the original ones. You're looking at $1500+ right there.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I think it's a bit more than I'm trying to undertake on my first build since I'm not a mechanic.

I was really excited, but I'm going to get out of it. I contacted the seller and was honest with him that I couldn't afford the repairs, and he agreed to cancel my bid and re-list it. It's a great bus for somebody.

Thanks guys! Back on the hunt...
Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You're wise to run!

Avoid buses with any of those problems.
This bus will likely be scrapped sooner or later. Or he'll have to stop telling folks about the issues till its too late. Its a hot potato and he's stuck with it right now!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Good for you. Might be a good bus for someone, but it sounds like a big can of worms. Plenty of fish in the sea.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt466e, international 3800, radiator