Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

DT466E to CUMMINS ISL - Need Referral

Hey guys I have a 2004 International 3800 with a DT466E and Allison MD3060.

I am looking for referrals for a great mechanic/shop that could swap my DT for a Cummins ISL, preferably out west, CA, CO, UT, AZ, NM, NV or OR/WA

I have weighed my bus down WAY too much with my build. Coming in a 36k lbs now and dropping weight is not an option at this point.

I am hoping someone on here can give me a solid reference, I have just had too much experience lately with skilled people just not having the experience in this exact thing and causing me a lot of head aches. I am just looking for the ultimate shop/mechanic for this, hoping someone on here can help! or even give advice about how to find such a shop/mechanic.

Thank you thank you!
-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 5.10.58 PM.png  

ozthemost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
that's a great looking roof raise and deck design - maybe the best I've seen - sorry can't help with your problem
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I dont know anyone out west, however I can ask around from my buddies out east where i know the school systems they work for have done 6.7 re-powers. im not up on my cummins to know what dimensions the ISL is.. but 10 litres sounds big to stuff in a conventional school bus frame.. there are kits I believe for Maxxforce 7 based busses to be repowered by the 6.7 which has higher ratings than most of the 466E's.. a 325 HP @ 750 ft lbs torque version is made and used by international..

the other option is to bump up the power on your 466E.. im not sure all the differences between the HO and standard versions of the 466E.. buit I believe turbo and injectors are different.. and then finding the correct EFRC and re-set the rating on the computer... you can get to 260-275HP pretty easily that way on the current engine.. there is a 300HP Hifgh torque variant of the 466E also.. ive not seen one in the wild but it may be possible to build yours into it..

just some ideas
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I just installed new injectors and turbos on the DT466E, ended up putting out an unbelievable amount of black smoke, manufacturer of the injectors said there was nothing I can do. I ended up having to swap them back to the originals. Back to my 230HP... often get stuck on speed bumps if im stopped.

Do you know anyone that would know how to get over 300HP out of my DT466 reliably and without black smoke?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Your best option would be to try to bump the power on the dt466e. If you were able to drop an ISL in you would likely have to put in a beefier transmission. A bigger engine and transmission would mean more weight. You have to be close to the max for your axles already. What is the bulk of your weight? If it's a matter of pulling power and top speed isn't that important you could regear the rear end.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

if you were black smoking with the injectors, then a bigger turbo would push more air into the cylinder.. what kind of boost numbers was your ECM reading? are you using a waste-gated turbo? perhaps turn the gate up a little if you are and get a baseline for the black smoke. and maybe drop the fueling back on the ECM.. I realize dropping the fueling sounds counter-productive but it may be the injectors are too-big for the current fueling rate curve on the 230.. Navistar does very little Feed-back fuel regulation.. it seems to be mostly pre-programmed curves... if you are already a 230 HP high torque model then turning it up to 260-275 is easy.. thats just a computer program change.. could be the factory injectors can push a lot more fuel than the computer was allowing..

which turbo did you go with, HX40? were the new injectors 15%?
-Christopher
Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You're grossing 36k lbs

What's your gvwr?

I'm not sure you can hop up a dt466e to get what you're after. An engine swap might be your best option.

How much are you willing to spend would be the issue. An engine swap isn't cheap, especially if you have to install an entire new drivetrain with it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Yea the weight has been dealt with the best I can, I’ve swapped axles and all that, and again, I’m really just trying to get a referral here for a good mechanic / shop out west that knows what I need from direct and specific experience with this swap or mod and is a true pro in this field.

Does anyone happen to have any referrals?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't bother with one of these new "Emissions" engines (the ones with DPF or DEF systems), assuming that's what your referring to.

I would be inclined to find an IH road tractor with an L10 or M11 or N14 Cummins engine (one that's pre-emissions), cannibalize everything you need for the swap off of it. I'd go ahead and do an engine rebuild while it's out. You'll probably need the bigger radiator, Charge Air Cooler, radiator supports, and whatever else.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
I know this is off topic, but I would love to see your build.... any more pics or an IG account? looks cool!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
I know this is off topic, but I would love to see your build.... any more pics or an IG account? looks cool!
me too - l liked the look enough to save a picture of it
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I asked a couple of my buddies. and the only Re-powers their shops have done are Maxxforce 7 to Cummins 6.7.. apparently its a real common swap for fairly recent school busses that lose their M7s.. none of the shops knew anything about going to class 8 engines.. although increasing power on the 466E or swapping to a mechanical 466 where it could be stroked , P-pumped and built up much easier than the electronic engines was mentioned.. but sounds like you dont even want to put any more effort into the 466..

-Christopher
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

instagram.com/somedrifters has more pics