Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Okay so it took me a good two and a half hours and I've accomplished nothing! Spent quite a bit of time looking at the pictures and illustrations on one of the links here, and slowly got to know what I was looking at. After a while of trying to build up courage to smack my bus with a mallet, I hit the drum, linkage arm, bellhousing a few times. Then I fired her up and tried to drive forward, then back, then forward a few times. She didn't feel any different. She rolls right back in reverse though if that makes any difference. Driving forward after shifting into gear she really had to rev up to move a foot or two. The gal that owns the campground is friends with the previous owner and she says he said it's just the light getting stuck on and to jiggle the foot pedal but that did nothing.

Chess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I think you might have some other issue, the brake should effect it in reverse also the same as foward
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #43
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I think you might have some other issue, the brake should effect it in reverse also the same as foward
This is NOT what I wanted to hear! Why would the brake light be on then?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
. . . The gal that owns the campground is friends with the previous owner and she says he said it's just the light getting stuck on and to jiggle the foot pedal but that did nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
This is NOT what I wanted to hear! Why would the brake light be on then?

Are the brake lights remaining on even when they shouldn't be? Assuming hydraulic brakes, there's a switch above the pedal that controls the brake lights, the switch can wear out or get out of adjustment. If so, it should be a fairly simple/inexpensive fix.

Some vehicles sense the brake light and will not give full power if the (computer thinks the) brakes are applied.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #45
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Are the brake lights remaining on even when they shouldn't be? Assuming hydraulic brakes, there's a switch above the pedal that controls the brake lights, the switch can wear out or get out of adjustment. If so, it should be a fairly simple/inexpensive fix.

Some vehicles sense the brake light and will not give full power if the (computer thinks the) brakes are applied.
Yes hydraulic brakes, AT 545 transmission. The light is remaining on on the dash when I pull the release. Please elaborate on the 'switch above the pedal" that controls the lights. Is this not the break release switch? Please explain more about the switch adjustment and how to fix it.
How can i know if my bus is one that can 'sense the brake light'? How do I reset the computer from sensing the 'error code'?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
If it moves fine in reverse but not forward, you have other problems. The park brake will hold it equally in both directions.

What light are you talking about? Is it the red brake warning light on the dash? That's controlled by a switch near the lever. The brake fluid being low could also turn that on.

Honestly, it sounds like you're in over your head and just guessing. Maybe it's time to call in someone with more experience regarding vehicles to figure it out.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 AM   #47
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
If it moves fine in reverse but not forward, you have other problems. The park brake will hold it equally in both directions.

What light are you talking about? Is it the red brake warning light on the dash? That's controlled by a switch near the lever. The brake fluid being low could also turn that on.

Honestly, it sounds like you're in over your head and just guessing. Maybe it's time to call in someone with more experience regarding vehicles to figure it out.
Okay, that's bad to know! It is slightly sloped downhill towards the tail end but I don't suppose that would make a difference?
To the left of the dash there is a read brake warning light that is supposed to go of when the brake is released.
I will check and top off the brake and transmission fluids next time I'm there. Do you mean there is an additional switch for the light near the lever that is pulled to release the brake?
Yup, I'm in over my head! I didn't even know that other odd knob is a throttle lock till I looked at an owners manual I downloaded. I've been asking around to find someone to take a look at my bus where she is. I don't think I will have anyone to help me till I get her moved to my friends farm.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #48
Bus Geek

The switch for the light is in the brake handle mechanism. It's more of a "hey stupid, put me down before you move light". It doesn't actually indicate whether the brake is engaged, just whether or not you have the handle pulled up.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #49
Almost There

Quote:
The switch for the light is in the brake handle mechanism. It's more of a "hey stupid, put me down before you move light". It doesn't actually indicate whether the brake is engaged, just whether or not you have the handle pulled up.
Derp derp derp, so I may have been barking up the wrong tree this whole time! I might just have a light stuck on that is 'fooling' the computer?
So if some moron did not know what their throttle lock was and left that engaged before trying to drive would that make it feel like you're jamming on the fuel pedal just to slug forward? Or would that have nothing to do with this.
The guy I got my bus from was very trustworthy and had no problems driving her. So my first conclusion was it simply rusted a little over winter. Now I'm thinking it might just be I don't know how to drive her!
Even if I can't figure this out on my own I want to learn what I am doing wrong and how to troubleshoot if something similar happens in the future.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Let's start from the beginning.

Is the bus parked on a level surface? When you release the park brake handle, the light stays on, correct? Does it move it all when you release the handle with the transmission in neutral?

It moves normally if you put it in reverse, right? But in forward it won't move at all?

Do you hear the engine tone change at all when you shift from neutral into drive? Does it make the same change when you shift from neutral to reverse? What about if you shift from neutral all the way down to 1?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #51
Bus Geek

Also, when you push on the brake pedal, and it makes the buzzing sound, does the pedal vibrate? Is the engine running when you do this? If it isn't, start it and see what happens. Your light issues might be caused by a failure in the hydroboost system which would explain the buzzing sound and the brake light.

Check the power steering fluid level next time you're there.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Evidently his parking brake has a foot pedal like a lot of cars do and a release handle that kets it pop up
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Same difference. The switch for the light is on the pedal. I doubt that is the issue. If I had to bet the hydroboost isn't working which is why the light is on.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
We are guessing and assuming?
Which is all that can be done with the info. Provided.
We at least need pictures of.
brake light on the dash
Brake release lever and or button
Pic of motor under hood
Pic of tranny tail shaft
Pic of rear end at each tire from underneath looking out at the rear brake drums like the picture posted earlier.
Then we can help better.
If this was a little car setting in a level concrete driveway I would tell you to learn away.
But a medium to heavy duty vehicle setting on a slope (regardless of front to back or left to right) with brake problems IS EXTREME TROUBLE for a NOVICE?
Not saying you can't do it but I will say that you need experience on smaller brake systems before you tackle this one!
Have the good guy that sold it to you drive it from where it's at to solid pavement an see if your comfortable with it on soli ground?
At this point it could be simple or complex.
We need you to help us DECIPHER what brake system you have?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35

Pictures will be extremely helpful!!!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #56
Almost There

Quote:
Let's start from the beginning.

Is the bus parked on a level surface? When you release the park brake handle, the light stays on, correct? Does it move it all when you release the handle with the transmission in neutral?

It moves normally if you put it in reverse, right? But in forward it won't move at all?

Do you hear the engine tone change at all when you shift from neutral into drive? Does it make the same change when you shift from neutral to reverse? What about if you shift from neutral all the way down to 1?
Okay, the surface it is parked on is muddy and the tires left ruts that go several inches down. Inside the bus if we drop something it rolls from the drivers side to the passengers side, so it is not level in that direction.
I *think* it moves normally in revers, just a tap on the fuel and I'm afraid I'll back into the ditch, lol.
I hear a very distinct tone in the engine when I shift from neutral into drive, reverse and down the gears. I think the sound from neutral to drive is the most distinct and the other sounds are slighter but noticeable.
I appreciate your helping me brainstorm and sharing your knowledge with me. I have till Tuesday to get her driving safely before I have to tow her from the campground.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #57
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post

Pictures will be extremely helpful!!!
The pictures I took under my bus are too blurry and dark to be any help. I can try to upload them though.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #58
Almost There

Quote:
Also, when you push on the brake pedal, and it makes the buzzing sound, does the pedal vibrate? Is the engine running when you do this? If it isn't, start it and see what happens. Your light issues might be caused by a failure in the hydroboost system which would explain the buzzing sound and the brake light.

Check the power steering fluid level next time you're there.
Yes, the regular brake pedal (not the parking brake pedal) makes a buzzing sound when the bus is off it vibrates very slightly when off but not when running (unless the vibration of the bus makes it unnoticeable when running). But the light that is on is the park break light not the other one.
What is the hydroboost system?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #59
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
We are guessing and assuming?
Which is all that can be done with the info. Provided.
We at least need pictures of.
brake light on the dash
Brake release lever and or button
Pic of motor under hood
Pic of tranny tail shaft
Pic of rear end at each tire from underneath looking out at the rear brake drums like the picture posted earlier.
Then we can help better.
If this was a little car setting in a level concrete driveway I would tell you to learn away.
But a medium to heavy duty vehicle setting on a slope (regardless of front to back or left to right) with brake problems IS EXTREME TROUBLE for a NOVICE?
Not saying you can't do it but I will say that you need experience on smaller brake systems before you tackle this one!
Have the good guy that sold it to you drive it from where it's at to solid pavement an see if your comfortable with it on soli ground?
At this point it could be simple or complex.
We need you to help us DECIPHER what brake system you have?
I have a few pictures of the engine and a video clip too. Pretty sure the pictures of the interior of the bus are clear enough to help y'all know what bus, breaks and tranny I have. The ones under the bus are not so good, but I will try to post them too.
I'm wishing I knew more about my cars breaks now too, lol. I'm not saying I can do it but I want to at least give it my best shot before having my bus towed next week.
The guy I bought it from is a law enforcement officer that works night shifts so when I'm at my bus working on it he's never available. I've tried to get a hold of him a few times but hes always working extra shifts or asleep during the day.
I appreciate ya'lls helping me and I hope the pictures I can find will help with deciphering what the problem is. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to get those pics us soon
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #60
Almost There

Trying to upload pics"..
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg   image.jpg