Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 77
Finding Brake drums

Hey guys,

We have a '93 Blue Bird TC2000, and the brake drums are really worn down. There is a huge ridge on the edge where they have worn in.

Places around here, including a Blue Bird service station say that drums for a bus this old are very hard to come by for the rears and near impossible to get for the fronts. Blue Bird does show two in stock for the rear, but they are expensive.

I am curious if anyone here as replaced drums, and if so what did they cost and were they difficult to get?

I am surprised they seem to be such a custom drum. I would have though it would be a standard truck drum.....

Anyway, any thoughts on brake drums in our school buses?

johnfaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Brake drums are plentiful every place

Brake drums are not made by Blue Bird. There are many brake drum makers. Call a truck part supply company and a truck salvage place. Get a part number and correct description of the part needed. Used parts are as good as new parts and the parts have experience. Get on the phone and discover lots of information. Any maker of brake drums will work great. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: ward flat nose
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466 mt643 air ride
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Finding Brake drums

I agree with what frank-id says and will add to it. Get under your bus and get all the numbers off of your axle housing. there should be a tag on there that says Rockwell or Spicer or Dana etc. Then call your truck parts dealer and tell them you need drums for that axle. They may want to know if the wheels are Dayton, Budd or hub piloted. Get there price and part number(s) and check 2 or 3 others sources for the best price.

Also you may try to have your drums turned to renew the contact surface. Most auto machine shop and Napa can do that.
kotflb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 77
Re: Finding Brake drums

Well, I did a lot of searching. I followed your advice and was able to find a number and manufacturer for the drums. Unfortunately it appears to be a really rare drum and I wasn't able to find any substitute and the price the mechanic quoted me of $250 per drum was pretty much the best I could find.

Has anyone else had to do drums on their bus??
johnfaires is offline   Reply With Quote