Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Fuel issues

Hey guys I have a question. My bus is a 92 ford b600 bluebird. It has the 6.6 inline desiel engine with the 2 speed rear end manual transmission. The bus died on the freeway and wouodnt start up again. So after getting it towed to a friends house I decided to try and fire it up. The only way it would start is if I pumped the primer on top.of the fuel filter. And if I keep pumling it it will stay running. I have guys telling me its the fuel pump and others saying its just the fuel filter. So before I start getting to deep into this and making a mountain out of a mole hill I just wanted your expert advice. And also I was under the impression that there are two fuel filters but I can only find one. I followed the line to the tank and I couldnt find it. So any help id really appreciate. ��

Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueman View Post
Hey guys I have a question. My bus is a 92 ford b600 bluebird. It has the 6.6 inline desiel engine with the 2 speed rear end manual transmission. The bus died on the freeway and wouodnt start up again. So after getting it towed to a friends house I decided to try and fire it up. The only way it would start is if I pumped the primer on top.of the fuel filter. And if I keep pumling it it will stay running. I have guys telling me its the fuel pump and others saying its just the fuel filter. So before I start getting to deep into this and making a mountain out of a mole hill I just wanted your expert advice. And also I was under the impression that there are two fuel filters but I can only find one. I followed the line to the tank and I couldnt find it. So any help id really appreciate. ��
If you disconnect the fuel line at the filter and turn on the key the pump should run and squirt fuel. If no fuel it's the pump.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome thank you cmorganskool.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
No, it won't do that.

That's only with electric lift pumps, which I doubt a 92 will have.

Start by changing the fuel filters, prime the system with the primer hand pump, and then see what it does.

For grins, how much fuel is in the tank?
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
There will be a fuel filter, and a water separater filter further back.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
No, it won't do that.

That's only with electric lift pumps, which I doubt a 92 will have.

Start by changing the fuel filters, prime the system with the primer hand pump, and then see what it does.

For grins, how much fuel is in the tank?
If it's mechanical you can crank it and it should push fuel out of the line. I'm sorry I forgot to mention because I've been working on my electronic diesel too long. If he's missing a second filter, it could have been replaced with an electronic pump. Trouble shooting is my favorite part of mechanical.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:43 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Well the tank is full of fuel. I filled it up and only put 70 miles on before it shut down. And it has a manual fuel pump. The great thing about this bus is that there isn't much thats electronic. So I'll start with a new filter. Heck a new one is only 23 dollars. And if that dont do it then I'll get a fuel pump for it. Thank you guys for all your skoolie knowledge
Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Fuel filters should be changed regularly anyway, but a clogged fuel filter will begin with "no power" at speed/going up a hill. Not all buses will have two, but there usually is a water separator somewhere in the system (sometimes integrated with the fuel filter assembly). Offhand, given the shutdown was roadside, I'd guess you're not getting fuel for some reason - either a failed pump or somewhere in the lines from the tank to the engine.

Just for laughs, try removing the fuel cap, see if there's a vacuum (there shouldn't be), but if there is, you need to check the tank vent.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well the tank is full of fuel. I filled it up and only put 70 miles on before it shut down. And it has a manual fuel pump. The great thing about this bus is that there isn't much thats electronic. So I'll start with a new filter. Heck a new one is only 23 dollars. And if that dont do it then I'll get a fuel pump for it. Thank you guys for all your skoolie knowledge
What is the filter part#?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Well I got the bus running. It was a clogged fuel filter. I took the old filter off and gave it a quick crank. Fuel came out so that indicated to me that the pump was still good. I got a filter from carquest. The part number for mine was 86411. It also has a water seporater at the bottom of the filter. I think thats what it is. Its a small valve on the very bottom of the filter. And I was stranded along the freeway until an amazing fella stopped and asked if I needed any assistance. He was kind enough to pull my bus with his half ton ford 2 miles to get me to a safe place to park. And I was within walking distance to a parts store. So all in all I'm blessed it wasnt a major repair or an expensive tow. I gave that guy 50 bucks for his time wear on his pick up. Should have seen the looks we were getting when he was pulling me lol. Anyways thank you to all of you for your advice and help. Your all amazing folks.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well I got the bus running. It was a clogged fuel filter. I took the old filter off and gave it a quick crank. Fuel came out so that indicated to me that the pump was still good. I got a filter from carquest. The part number for mine was 86411. It also has a water seporater at the bottom of the filter. I think thats what it is. Its a small valve on the very bottom of the filter. And I was stranded along the freeway until an amazing fella stopped and asked if I needed any assistance. He was kind enough to pull my bus with his half ton ford 2 miles to get me to a safe place to park. And I was within walking distance to a parts store. So all in all I'm blessed it wasnt a major repair or an expensive tow. I gave that guy 50 bucks for his time wear on his pick up. Should have seen the looks we were getting when he was pulling me lol. Anyways thank you to all of you for your advice and help. Your all amazing folks.
Does your bus not have a primary oil filter? The water separater on mine is a secondary filter downstream of the primary filter.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Nope. My bus has one oil filter and one fuel filter with a built in water separator. Also my turbo is on the drivers side. I've always seen them on the passanger side. Pretty simple engine
Old 06-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The 6.6/7.8 engines were like that in some cases. You can also find them with the dual filter housings, with both a primary filter/water separator and a secondary filter.

Not a big deal having only one really, just make sure you change the filters often, which is something you should do on a diesel anyways.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah you're right. I did do a full tune up on it when I first got the bus around 3-4 years ago. Its been a solid runner. Havent put to many miles on it but I think every spring I'm gonna do a full tune up. I was blessed I wasn't in the boonies when it happened. Thank you all for your help and advise. I really appreciate it.