Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: pacific
Chassis: t216
Engine: 160 cummins turbo
Help needed on p/s conversion for 56 k/w

Hello, Im new here to this forum.Have recently purchased a 1956 kenworth has been converted to a 160 cummins.. The bus appears to have never had any type of power steering or air assist? What little info Ive been able to find states these came with an air assist? This appears to have never had this option.. My question is.. has anyone done a power steering conversion On such a beast.? Its a pacific body..And I really love the looks and conversion. and everything about the old bus. except the steering. can be very difficult for an older fella.. Anyone have any ideas? I did attempt several vendors who offer complete units, But no one knows what might work.. I appreciate greatly any input.Thanks johng

56 k/w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Help needed on p/s conversion for 56 k/w

I don't know if old KW busses use the same simple straight-axle front end as KW trucks but I'd suspect they do.
A few years ago I simply swapped the front axle, pump, etc. from a late-'80s Kenworth into an old, never-had-power-steering 1974 KW W-900 with a Cummins. It was pretty straight forward, just remove old stuff and bolt on newer stuff.
The extra benefit is the later front end had brakes.
The old trucks with air-assist steering I've driven really sucked. They didn't have much "assist" and when making tight maneuvers they used up all the air quickly.
If I was going to convert to power steering (again!) I'd still not bother with retrofitting old obsolete junk.
Look, measure, research, and if possible just bolt in more modern stuff.

P. S. You can probably just replace the old non-power steering box and not the entire axle, I wanted the brakes and higher capacity axle as well so I just swapped the whole thing.
Like I said, it was a truck not a bus but it's probably a similar situation.

Then I lived happily ever after.
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1956
Coachwork: pacific
Chassis: t216
Engine: 160 cummins turbo

Thanks joe,
56 k/w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

You may want to look in Truck Conversions .net. Seems to be a lot of knowledge in there
wewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Those with armstrong steering say never turn the wheel unless your on the move. That is unless you want some anerobic exercise.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote