Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: blue bird
Engine: international 3800 t444e 7.3L
how do i source a rear hub?

2000 international 3800 7.3L handibus with hydraulic brakes on a duelly rear axle.

i wanted to source a new or used rear hub. international told me they would cut me a deal at a little over $400. looking for a more affordable option, i went to fleetpride. they told me it would probably be around $120, but they would need a number off the inside of the hub to order another one. i know there are 10 bolts connecting the rotor to the hub, and there are 8 bolts on the other side that the lugnuts go on. i did see that it is a dayton hub. searching around craigslist and ebay, i see used hubs, some from older F350s, that look just like mine. prices seem all over the place. so im wondering when im looking at craigslist or ebay if there are other vehicles that i could use the rear hub from?
if i did decide to go thru fleetpride, or another auto parts store, is there a way i can know what hub i need without taking the old one off first?
thank you

welcomehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
If you can get the IH number from the dealer Fleet Pride may be able to use that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Almost There

well i was able to get the international part # from the dealer for the $400+ hub, but the guy at fleetpride said the number wasnt able to be cross-referenced in their system. the international part# was 3531722c91.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Don't know if it's any help, putting that part number into Google netted this
https://www.google.com/search?q=3531...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Sixth listing is a PDF with that number crossed to what looks like a Ford number.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
Almost There

thank u. i looked up the number in that pdf and found the corelating number to be 4C4O1109MA. so is that the number that the guy at fleetpride can use?
Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Almost There

do any of u wheel, axle, or rotor experts have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

One of the best things you can do if you own an IC bus or a bus on an IHC chassis is to go to an IC Bus dealer or a Navistar/IHC truck dealer and get a copy of the Line Setting Ticket.

The LST is the birth certificate for that particular vehicle. It will itemize everything that was used to build that particular vehicle. Among the many things listed will be the engine by serial number and HP rating. It will list each of the axles with their type of wheel, type of brake, size of brake, weight rating, gear ratio, model, and maker.

It will be a lot easier for you to order parts if you can tell a parts counter person that you need a hub for a 2000 IHC 3800 with a specific axle of a particular brand with a specific kind of brake and wheel.

Just asking for a hub for a 2000 IHC 3800 could mean the part is one of more than a dozen variables.

I suppose another question is to wonder why you need a new hub? What happened to the old one?

Good luck.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
Almost There

i took off the rotor from the hub to give me closer access to the wheel seal when changing it. i should have used new bolts to put it back on, but i didnt. consequently a bolt broke as i put too much force into putting the bolt back in. admittedly a rookie mistake that im now trying to remedy. i had to put it back together to leave where i was whether i wanted to or not, and now i want to know which hub to get for when i take the old one off again. i will try to drill the bolt out, but want to research and source the new one to be able to immediately go get it if im unsuccessful getting the remnant of the bolt out, or if i damage the threads inside the hub.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
Almost There

just to conclude this thread, i ended up not having to get a new hub after all. when i took it off again, i found that i actually had a total of 3 cracked or broken bolts. 2 of them were broken off in the hub, the third one i was able to rotate the broken end backwards out of the hole.
thankfully i was able to find a machine shop to take the hub to. for $50 a bolt, they got the remains out and left the threads of my hub perfectly intact. i had to leave it overnight but considering i didnt have to get a new hub, it was well worth it.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
nice!!! finding a locally owned diesel / machine shop is something thats a good idea for all of us... you can often save parts by finding such a place.. glad to see you got the bolts out and the htreads are good!..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote