Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54
How to Jack up front of bus?

How do you guys typically jack up your buses to either work on them or change a tire? I actually have to lift the entire front end so bleed the air out of my newly installed power steering pump which keeps spewing ps fluid out the cap. What kind of jacks do you recommend? I have a typical Chevy B-60 Wayne school bus (medium duty chassis)
Thanks.,

jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Chevrolet B-60
Engine: 366 Gas
Rated Cap: 54
Re: How to Jack up front of bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John
The Harbor Freight hydraulic bottle jacks are a good deal when they go on sale, especially if you also have the 20%-off coupon. Because they're inexpensive you can afford to get one size larger than a more expensive brand. I think it's prudent to get a jack rated for about twice the load it will actually see, to lessen the chance of blowing seals (or worse). I have a 12-ton for the front and a 20-ton for the rear, and they seem decent for the price. Are they as good as a made-in-USA jack - no, of course not, but they are OK for occasional use.

The two jacks I have lift only between 7 and 8 inches, so you will need lots of sturdy wood cribbing or hardwood blocks to lift your bus a useful amount. In the next few weeks I will need to slide my water tanks under my bus to install them, so I'll lift one side at a time about 12 to 14 inches. This will take two lifts with my jacks, blocking the bus up along the way. Should be fun!

John
John,
Thanks for your reply, and I have been following your conversion. You dont see many Crown Supercoach II's.

I just need to jack it up enough to get the front wheels loose so that I can fully rotate the steering wheel in both directions a handful of times.
jaredg is offline   Reply With Quote