Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Intercooler and Air Filter

Looking at a couple simple mods or things left out i should say. I got a new holland 6.6 i6. Clearly they left out a few things. Had one of these some years back with the turbo and adding a cheap intercooler made a world of difference. Im thinking its 2.5 inch pipes am i correct? Second this air filter just urks me. Im looking at what appears to be a four inch pipe off the turbo. What i want to do is reduce this down to around a three inch pipe and completely open the filter up if not add a second filter. Will the reduction hurt me. Im not looking for power im looking to cool the air going into the motor down as much as possible. everyone knows these 6.6s dont like going uphills and this would help the motor run cooler.
Rastefaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Dies
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I'll follow this as I also have a 6.6.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

intercooler

intercooler is an extremely simple install. top mount it with a couple radiator fans. this is how i did it on my truck which was a prior dump truck with the dump bed removed.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
A picture or two would be worth a thousand words for us.

To determine how effective an intercooler is you have to know the intake air temps that you're dealing with.

If they're sized and placed correctly, they'll usually net noticeable gains.

I'd have to see pictures of your current filter set up and how you want to modify it before I comment on that. However, most people when modifying their air intakes actually hurt performance rather then helping because they don't have a grasp on what's actually happening underhood.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
Or you could just add a simple bolt on water/alcohol injection kit.
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastefaryan View Post
Looking at a couple simple mods or things left out i should say. I got a new holland 6.6 i6. Clearly they left out a few things. Had one of these some years back with the turbo and adding a cheap intercooler made a world of difference. Im thinking its 2.5 inch pipes am i correct? Second this air filter just urks me. Im looking at what appears to be a four inch pipe off the turbo. What i want to do is reduce this down to around a three inch pipe and completely open the filter up if not add a second filter. Will the reduction hurt me. Im not looking for power im looking to cool the air going into the motor down as much as possible. everyone knows these 6.6s dont like going uphills and this would help the motor run cooler.
heres some pics of my set up after doing some research ive come to the conclusion i can use four inch pvc pipe which i will heat shield wrap
Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Bus Nut

The best thing you could do is find the cap for your air filter housing, unless it's sealed by the hood then it's fine. That right there will draw in hot under hood air which is no good.

I'm really not certain what you plan on replacing with 4" pvc, but what you have now draws cold air into the filter through the rubber boot on the right side of your 2nd image. If you seal off your opening to replace the air filter, you'd be about as good as you can get as far as fresh air is concerned.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

intercooler and air filter

my fault i neglected a few details. first off im adding a low profile hood scoop. im no artist but ive included a half ass mock drawing of my idea the theory is strong.the fans will also force air down into the engine adding more cooling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A292756-C7C9-4493-BCF8-EF4F7A9C51CB.jpg (114.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
Bus Nut

So you're replacing the large air filter with 2 cone type air filters open to the underhood air?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If you are thinking about K&N filters...you'd be much better off sticking with the factory system. K&N's flow REALLY well and are a top choice for racers. But...the reason they flow so well is that they are so open. They let anything through including lots of dirt. Not what you want if you plan on keeping an engine alive for very long.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote