Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #1

Year: 1989
Coachwork: int
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 59
international 7.3

i have a 1989 international 7.3 diesel, no turbo with an automatic transmission. it seems like it's top speed is 55 on flat ground and empty, before conversion has been done. what can be done to increase the top speed 5-10 mph?

woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47
Re: international 7.3

Proper answer is to regear the rear end. Another option is to go with a bigger tire on the rear. If your bus doesn't have 22.5's on the back, and needs tires that may be a reasonable option. You could try to craigslist or junkyard some 22.5 wheels and tires. Personally I would regear a little higher than you're thinking to get a little better mileage, the other options are just turd polish. I would regear mine but can't find a source for gears.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Careful about re-gearing. A 7.3 isnt really a powerhouse. Might do more damage than good.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

I wouldn't want to do the work and expense of a salvage axle swap having an axle in good shape already under the bus. It would be well worth the extra bucks to me to re-gear.

The other reason is I don't think you'll find what you want. The lower gearing is what works best for medium duty/bus applications. You may not be able to find the ratio you want even offered new. I would get the tag information off the axle and call Inland Truck.

This is coming from someone that could do the axle swap, but would pay someone else to set up gears.

My bus is geared in the 8's on the low side, 6's on the high. Guess how I have come to these conclusions.
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Non-issue. Skoolies have full-floating axles, meaning the 'shaft does not carry any weight, it only drives the wheel. Yours sounds like a semifloating GM car/light truck axle: the axle also carries the vehicle's weight, and on those, the bearing rides directly on the axle surface.

However, I recall most skoolie axles have a "dropout" centresection, like a Ford 9": you can swap the whole differential without having to set up gears.

For a 7.3 diesel, AT545 auto, and 10R22.5 tires, I would look for a 4.11 ratio. WIth an MT643 or a manual shift, I would look for a 4.30.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote