Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
International DT466E Timing Cover Issues

There have been a few videos that have came out since I parted ways with my DT466E shorty with the timing cover issue.
Thought I'd share as now the issue is being more widely discussed. As these engines age we will certainly see more of them.

Its an even bigger achilles than the liner seals. Doing an inframe is preferable to a timing cover job on one of these beasts.

Not trying to scare anyone. But this info needs to be spread so folks can be better informed. If you can't do this job and have to pay for someone else to do it you're looking at upwards of ten grand.

Thanks to DanFox for sending me that first video!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
This affect all DT466's, or more likely to happen on DT466E's? I thought remember reading somewhere they changed a few things on the E's and now they are more likely to have this issue!
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Mostly 1999-up and the 04 up EGR ones can do it too. The old mechanical engines are fine!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
great videos..

one thing to note its the INNER timing cover that is the real job.. the outer cover isnt too bad..of course his main leak was the inner..

**BUT**

Look at all the corrioson in the coolant passages.. this truck had very poor coolant maintenance.. take not to everyone who has a diesel bnus.. Maintain your coolant or it destroyes your aluminum parts first then will take to the steel if left bad enough..

hopefully no one buys a bus as rusty as this truck.. that was his biggest nemesis..

its also very easy to take off the hood and pull the whole frame that encases the radiator and turno cooler.. then you have much better access..

im guessing these guys ran this thing for a long time with 0 additive (red truck)..

I only skimmed the second guy's video.. his style of pulling the bonnet and the whole rad / CAC frame is the way I had my red bus apart and life was much easier
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote